Vintage ever ready front lamp with 6v led

ian.allen2

Retro Guru
I have a vintage Ever ready lamp for my racer when I get it.
I have converted it to take either 2 or 4 aa batteries.
Also either a normal 3v bulb or a 6v led bulb.
The lamp

Front and rear lamps both switched on. The front has 3v incandescent bulb

Bulbs and holder (3 holders but showing different angles)

Bulb holder soldered in and wires soldered to the original switch

Bulb holder with wires soldered on the terminals

This pic had the wires soldered directly to the back of the bulb

Incandescent bulb 3v

Lamp with 4 x battery holder and led bulb in

LED 6v bulb

The rear lamp still has an incandescent bulb in and D batteries

Dunno how I ever managed before white LEDs came along (they're brilliant, in more than one sense!)....I've got one of those little Unicom wind-up LED lamp sets from eBay, even that puts out enough to both see and be seen on the unlit country lanes around here. :)

David

I have an led torch with 9 x led's with holder for mounting it on the handlebars that is a good light. It takes 3 x aaa batteries. I made a red lens for one from a trailer light cover. Same size as the outer casing, glued it on the front, and it can be used as a back light but the mount angle is wrong.

It looks orange in the photo, but it does look red in reality

Brilliant :D

Just glad you didn't do it to the plastic replacement of that metal lamp.............they were horrific-and we had to sell them !

Shaun

Thanks for the replies. I didnt want to ruin the originality of the lamp. If ever there was a battery made to replace the original type, all that has to be done is unsolder the wires, cut the back off the bulb holder, the new bulb would stick out and touch the battery contact and nothing would be ruined.

I have received a couple of led bulbs for the front lamp. The difference is the angle of the lumens
The one on the left is 30 deg and the one on the right is 100 degrees.

The bulb pattern is better. I dont know if you can see a difference from the pic posted earlier with the 100deg led in.
This is the 30deg.

I have just compared the pics and the newer bulb looks to have a blue tint to it. It is white though and does leave a pattern on the wall (even in daylight), whereas the 100deg bulb does not, not even in a dark room.

Latest posts

Back