hmmm not impressed, is this covered by the warranty?

amt27

Retro Guru
got a new Stumpjumper less than 2 weeks ago,

had a little accident when cornering on some singletrack, front wheel lost traction on a wet root or grass or something, the bike fell onto the trail, no rocks or trees hit it,
i was going quite slow, waiting to buy a new helmet (naughty sorry), so taking it very steady mainly on fire trails,

got up and found the left shifter had broken off and the front wheel is buckled,

this never happened with retro kit, i tell thee,

covered by warranty? or will the shop tell me to get on my bike

you crashed dude. therefore your fault, not manufacturer's fault,

cant expect to drive a brand new car into a brick wall and expect it fixed under warrenty?

unless you have a really good local bike shop, who are willing to help ya out?

we had a lad buy a 'jump' bike from the shop i work in , he missed a wall trying to jump it and shered his mech off! the dad come in ranting and raving! the mech was in 9 bits and the drop out severd! lol

yep, sling yer hook!

Sadly, it doesn't take much sometimes to trash something if hit wrong.
Have cartwheeled, tumbled, and seen my bike flying, with no damage, yet as you say, sometimes a little slip at the wrong angle and toast :(

fair enough,

but I would not expect a wheel to buckle and shifter to snap with such a minor incident, therefore could say, "not of reasonable quality" under the SOGA

shop manager hat on, no, it's not warranty, you crashed. the car analogy is something i say to people all the time, they seem to understand that.

but me personally i would fix the bike for you and just charge for the parts needed and no labour if it's a quick job, purely for good customer relations. it creates a good relationship with the customer, i tend to do the old "what have you been up to with that you naughty boy?!" with a sort of jokey piss take. i find most people accept this and are chuffed that your trying to keep the price of the repair down but i make it clear that it isn't warranty and i'm doing a favour repairing it without labour, this would only be done within the first service period (6-8 weeks) of ownership.

remember, it's not the guy in the shops fault that you crashed, poo happens!

p.s sales of goods act is irrelavent really, your crash isn't a sale!

Yer probably on tae plums, having crashed it..............but ye could claim, as the name suggests, that it should be up to Jumping over Stumps........... :p

I think you all need to think a little more laterally.

Is the wheel buckled as a result of your crash, or did it fail resulting in your 'off'? It is feasible that the spokes weren't correctly tensioned when the bike left the factory.

Your answer determines who pays for the repairs.

:)

to quote amt27,

"had a little accident when cornering"

russell, my fellow retro mate, latteral thinking i think would be out of order,

hmmm . . . i've had a crash and damaged my bike, sod it . . . i'll make someonelse pay!

you'd be pissed if someone did that to you in your business

people seem to be obsessed with "blagging" warranty, and i'm not suggesting it's you or amt27, but warranty costs someone somewhere, why should a shop pay or cover costs if it wasn't their fault?

trying to think around paying for it? if you go back to a shop and say "had a little accident" within 2 weeks of buying the better shops would help you out keeping the cost down.

if you wander into a shop with a problem but with a good attitude the guy behind the counter will be much more happy to help you, if you are annoying him by argueing he'll be less likely to help you in the future even if he does cover it and whether you buy mail order or local bike shop generally it's not worth pissing off your local guys coz at some point on the weekend when wiggle and chain reaction can't help you you might need a favour and that guy behind that counter won't hold the shop open for that extra 10 minutes to sort you out on the basis that you once chewed a piece of his arse off for something that was your fault not his.

having been on the recieving end for 10 years i know i treat people differently depending on my previous experiences with that customer, others get deals/discount/ quick turn around etc, basically perks of not being a git to me! :D

please note this isn't a rant but just pointing out the shop guys view! be their mate, it'll serve you better in the long run.

Back