Question: ebay, international item, paypal using debit card?

Neil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Thought I'd ask, here, as plenty have probably bought on ebay from international sellers.

Reason I'm asking, is I'm sure in the past, I've found that for certain international items, it's only let me select credit cards through paypal payment, but then I'm sure I've also, on occasion, managed to pay for some international things by debit card (Maestro, in my case, rather than something like Visa debit).

Anyone know for sure what the dealio is? I know it may make some sense to use a credit card, but is there any reason why you can't fund international (involving currency conversion) purchases using Maestro in ebay, using paypal?

Re: Question: ebay, international item, paypal using debit c

As far as I know you can use any card linked to your account if it is 'verified...'

...only have my VISA Debit card linked to mine BTW.

My ebay account only has a debit card linked to it, from the same bank account used as the primary account...
Debit/ credit card probably makes no difference; paypal justice is swift, unlike Visa who take a few months to right wrongs.
I'm quite happy sending even quite scary amounts internationally with paypal. In fact, it is the only way I would do it.

Any card you can attach to the account is fine. You don't need to wait for verification either.

Thanks all for the replies - as said, I managed to pay quite happily using my debit card, my reason for asking, really, was I've had instances in the past, for some international purchases, where it would only let me select a credit card. Whether that was some glitch at the time, or for some other reason, I can't be sure, but it's what prompted me to question.

Next question: what happens with the import and duty - who / how do I hear next? The item is from Japan (sent using EMS / Japan post), I can track it as left there, but wondered what would happen, next. It's not something that's terribly expensive (roughly around the £120 mark) just wondered what would happen next - presumably some card through the door, telling me there's something to pay before I can collect / have it delivered?

It'll probably arrive in this country within a few days and then spend a week in customs. Then it will go to the post office/parcelforce who will send you a card requesting payment of duty. Once paid, they will deliver.
You may be able to track it all the way and pick it up from the depot, or you may be lucky and it will just be delivered without duty being collected. Yen have a lot of zeros...

Back