Ritchey Frame: Pegasus Sunbeam 1992?

Hirsty

Retro Newbie
I stumbled across this Pegasus Sunbeam that appears to have an identical ritchey frame just rebranded Pegasus. From what I can find out it used to be owned by KTM? There is next to no history on Pegasus bikes online. All the components are ritchey and shimano deore DX. Just wondering what the value is. It is a shame it doesnt come with the original fork.

Picture

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmwHPfdV

Hi,

I've just bought a very neglected one, stripped it already.

First impressions: very light frame, seatpost binder mechanism is a threaded M6 hole built into the frame - same as Mr. Ritchey did back in those days. 17.5-18" size bare frame weighs 1960 gr., not too bad from a '93 bike! They might have copied both Jamis & Ritchey designs of the same era, and I think they did it well enough.

OEM stuff is Deore DX, frame deserves at least XT, but even M900 XTR would not be too posh for it, a keeper for sure!

Re:

What fork did your bike come with? Do you have any pictures. Have you seen the pictures of mine? I bought it from a guy in Vienna that looked after it and is in top condition. I was thinking of making a touring bike from the frame maybe a 1x10. Where abouts did you buy yours?

Pics are here, can't resize them at the moment:
https://imgur.com/a/HDv3RqA

I bought it from a collector, who is too busy to make it nice & tidy.
I've seen the pics of yours I'm sure they are same models, if not same sizes.

Pegasus was (and still is or became German?) an Austrian brand, the bikes were sold by the then-Suntour parts Austria import-distributor company, as far as I know. MTBs were OEM specced with Suntour XC LTD & XC Pro stuff.

I bought a mysterious full bike once (Ritchey-fake) which later was indentified as a Pegasus Ithaca: https://imgur.com/a/zQk3I

Similar frame to the Sunbeam, but heavier at about 2200 gr. at 18" size. OEM spec was Suntour XC LTD.

They still sell bikes under this brand name but mainly warehouse-stuff I guess, nothing to write home about.
Cheers,
Endre

I would strip the blue bike first, check the weight of it, and if it's under 2 or 1.9 kg, then I'd consider giving it a new chance to live. Parts seem mediocre so it's not a top model I guess if they are OEM ones. Rack eyelets on dropouts are also used on cheaper stuff.

From the brazing and the details it can be an Italian frame, is the BB-shell 70 mm wide? If it is, then it can be easily made there. Is the headtube 1" or 1 1/8"? The hidden top-tube cable routing is quite weird and gives corrosion a great chance to write the frame off sadly.

An Italian company called FRM made quite a few Ritchey copies in the 90's, they are really nice ones though. Even the R' Plexus model was copied and I don't know why they used the same design straightaway, maybe there was some deal with Tom in the background, who knows.

If you post a thread in the MTB chat subforum, I'm sure somebody can help with the identification.

Cheers,
Endre

Back