Skinny 26" Tires?

Fat Tire Trader

Dirt Disciple
Hello,
I have a large Bontrager Race frame. It is a little bit too tall for me, so I am considering building it up with skinny tires to keep the height down. Does anyone know if anyone still makes good 26 x 1.5" or 1.75" off road tires?
Thanks,
Chris

Schwalbe do a crazy 1.3" 26" cross tyre - I have a set and they are harsh but fast. Otherwise the nicest I know is the 1.85" Panaracer Fire XC Pro, which is a really fast roller and surprisingly comfortable.

Re:

Check out on-one sale at the moment they have some 1.8 she range from Schwalbe and Geax in the sale. Geax are dirt cheap as they are rebranding to Vittoria.

But honestly that is not a way to size a frame down to you.

If it it 'too tall' it'll be too long.
Get rid and buy the right size.

Re:

Those tyres at On-One ar ridiculously cheap! I've used Geax Barro Mud before and found them to be very good.
Think I'll be stocking up on tyres! :LOL:

Re:

You do know that the skinnier tyre doesn't mean it'll be any "shorter"?, the 1.3 part just refers to the width of the tyre.
On car tyres the "height" would be called the aspect ratio, I don't think they have such a thing for bike tyres do they?
Surely even if the bike sits 10mm lower you'll barely notice any difference ??

I have a pair od the Schwalbe CX pros 26x1,3, very good grip in them.
Also very light so very fast. But if rims are a bit on wide side, watch out for staines, the sidewalls are thin.
Schwalbe also make a 26x1,8 version of the Rocket Ron

Latest posts

Back