Another wee wooden table. Dinner for 1.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I've actually had it as a desk, which was a reproduction of a Frank Loydd Wright 'Myers' ladies writing desk I made at college.
Being a ladies writing desk and me being 6'3", my legs never quite fitted comfortably under it due to it's drawers, due to me getting those dimensions somewhat wrong.

After 20 years i made it into this one.

Removed the drawers, added some bracing as the front was totally open now they're gone. Shaped the braces to mimic the leg foot.
Split the rear rail and moved the stretcher from the middle to the rear, affording more foot space.
All properly mortised and tenoned including the braces.
H29 1/2"xW34"xD26" was originally 44" wide

Sometimes takes me a while to get around to things :oops: Glad tis is done though, nice to have somewhere decent to draw and eat.

I'm intending the split the top lengthwise to hinge a back portion, with a tray or such inside to make use of this missing drawer space, to some extent.
That one is planned no later than 2040

Attachments

• DSCF3114 (2) (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3114 (2) (Custom).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 3,742
Re:

Impressive work. I admire people who can create such things. I would imaging with such delicate proportions perfection with regard to joint fit and integrity is everything?

Thanks much :D

Normally jointing with me is never as perfect as you tube, but this time i got a new Lie Nielsen router plane, to help me par down the tenons till perfect, must have been 0.1 or 0.2mm clearance thanks to that handy bit of kit. It was so snug, i worried the water int he glue would swell it and it wouldnt pull tight.

YUoure spot on. Sloppy or ill fitting and theres room to move and therefore crack and what can last 200 years of use is busted within a couple of years.

TBH though this project has helped somewhat to pull be out of a rut making wise. Too much time spent on the bikes :LOL:

Attachments

• DSCF3121 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF3121 (Custom).JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,658
Back