1994 (or thereabouts) GT Outpost SS

IDB1

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked up today from hoegaardenadds1 (cheers dude...)

Spec (from original advert):

diacompe v's with avid levers

alex rims deep section front on stxrc hub

24 spoke rear wheel

32/16 ghetto conversion running a ghost gear

steel gt stem and bars.

rust wall irc backwoods tyres

And he left the pedals on too (one DMR V8 (red) and one DMR V12 (blue)) which is ace!!

21042010795.jpg

21042010800.jpg

If ever a bike was going to affect me mentally, this is it!! Mismatched wheels AND pedals :LOL:

Busy tomorrow but going to take it for a spin on Friday... can't wait!! :cool:

The seat has to go.. my ageing butt won't be able to take the punishment

Just had the stem out and it would appear to be 1" . . . sound right?

Completely dimsantled the front end and compared it to the Voodoo (scary.. not done anything like that before :? ) and, while it looks like 1", it's 1 1/8".

How very confusing (stem diameter isn't headset diameter . . ) . .

Showing signs of age (what with being old an' all ;) ) but I really like it.. see how it rides though (really need to get a bit of bounce in that front end though, it'll shake me to bits)

Looking for some forks now. . . 1 1/8" threaded would be ideal, save me the expense of a threadless headset. . . for now..

I like Outposts. I have a 1994 Outpost Trail which was my first mountain bike, and it's still ace!
Pretty sure that's a 1998 from the paintwork/stickers/lack of canti cable guide at the back. Nice mosheen!

How very confusing (stem diameter isn't headset diameter . . ) . .

The "headset diameter" is the outside diameter of the steerer tube on the fork, ie 1-1/8in in this case. Because it's a quill stem, it has to fit down the inside of the steerer, so the stem diameter is the inside diameter of the steerer tube, which is 1in. A quill stem to fit a 1in steerer would be 7/8in.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
£20 postage killed that (and no bids so the seller still has it. . . tsk)..

Checked out bikepedia and can only find yellow on MY '98.. but it also says it has 1 1/8" sealed headset . . wasn't very sealed when I dismantled it yesterday, or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

If it is a '98, I need to update the thread title and get it moved along a bit..

serial number should tell you what year m8

sealed just means that when its bolted up you can't actually see the bearings ,because of the little plastic ring they've fitted

the above is shockingly true in some cases

sealed -cartridge = not the same :LOL:

Back