Radical Carbon Kevlar Prototype- Full resto

Disco Drive

Senior Retro Guru
I, like many others, was confused, intrigued and indeed repulsed by this bike when it cropped up on Ebay. At first glance it looked like a poor facsimile of a Trimble, cobbled together with random parts and a questionable rattle can paint job.
Not surprisingly, it didn’t sell first time round but when it was relisted, the seller included some additional info that had been shared with him by a fellow Ebayer. The mystery was solved.
It transpired that the frame was near identical to a little known bike called a Radical that featured in Richard Ballantines ‘Ultimate Bicycle Book’
I guessed that no one else had bothered to open the listing again (probably to protect their eyes) so I took a punt on it.
Chatting to the seller during the handover, I was told the tragic tale of how the builder , Peter Jackson had turned to alcoholism after the cold blooded murder of his teenage son, Grant, who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and stabbed by a bayonet wielding gang member during a fight in a park in Sheffield.
This ultimately led to Peters death.
Peter reputedly handmade around ten Radicals during the late 80’s and early 90’s, some of which were full suspension, in his workshop behind his house.

It’s clear to see the DNA in the Prototype and indeed the evolution of the concept that was found on the production bike ( longer wheelbase, seat tube struts , canti’s and Pace forks)

Anyway, enough history.... link to original 'outing' thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=394319&start=50

Attachments

• rad as found.jpg
    rad as found.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,766
  • rad prod.jpg
    rad prod.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,765
Re:

First job was to tear it down and inspect the frame for obvious damage and look for any subtle identity cues....
Very feint rhomboids could be seen under the rattle can paint job which must have been from the original paint scheme.
These were carefully traced around and plotted on a 'map' so they could be replicated as part of the restoration.
Then some gradual sanding through the layers to identify the previous colour. This revealed it had been subject to at least 3 colour changes during its lifetime!

Yellow, white and a pale green

Attachments

• rad1.jpg
    rad1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,758
  • rad fork1.jpg
    rad fork1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,758
Re:

Pulling up a chair, this has the potential to be amazing (just don't use that front fork :shock: )
PS. If you want any advice on Carbon repair, just ask :D

As much as I was tempted when this was first outted I must confess to being one of the many who saw it as no more than some garden shed student project

So glad you saved it ! Is that last pic the actual / real colour ways ?

The last pic (black and red) is how I found it but with the rhomboids traced around for measurement purposes. A member on here recalls seeing a couple of these in a Dorset bike shop, one of which was pale green .... might have been this actual bike!

Re:

I have used a Poultice paint removal system called Peelaway 7 to prevent inadvertently sanding through a layer of Carbon/Kevlar.
It's fascinating to see the lay up (which is quite rough) This will take a LOT of filling and sanding to achieve a reasonable surface, however, the original finish was not immaculate being a prototype....i'd kinda like to retain some of this akin to saving the artists brush strokes when restoring a painting.

Attachments

• rad stripped.jpg
    rad stripped.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,562
  • rad rear.jpg
    rad rear.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,562
  • rad fork1.jpg
    rad fork1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,562
Re:

Also pulling up a chair. Tragic backstory but I guess the existence of these bikes is keeping memories alive and a legacy of some sort.

Re:

Many , many hours of filling and sanding. Now ready for primer.

Attachments

• rad filler.jpg
    rad filler.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,495
Back