year unknown Ritchey Ultra in amazing condition.

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just scored this today so cheap I won't annoy people by saying how much.

19" Ritchey Ultra with full Ritchey build kit including cantis, levers, crankset, rims, bar and seatpost.

Bike "upgraded" to Manitou 4 and Gripshift at some point, 1" threadless headset with Dean stem.

Funky Continental "Town and Country" tires and fugly Specialized Body Geometry seat.

Condition is extraordinary for a bike nearly 30 years old, pearl white paint is lustrous, minor dings and cable wear.

Not sure whether to keep and ride or use build kit on my Explosif and flip the frame/fork. It's so pretty, I just like looking at it.

IMG_1416_zpsebuuitn5.jpg

IMG_1417_zpsje7yr50z.jpg

IMG_1418_zpsdoo0lc4y.jpg

IMG_1420_zpspopbaa9s.jpg

IMG_1421_zpsx9vvdr1n.jpg

IMG_1422_zpsrv99oed9.jpg

5d02b898-6a06-480b-848b-bc044248b863_zps7cy2azvg.jpg

Re:

Lovely!

Ride it for a bit, see if it suits you.

I'd look for other forks, either Ritchey rigids, or some Rock Shox. But that's just my opinion.

My P22 is a great bike, light and comfortable.

Enjoy it!

Mike

That's like a time capsule...

I agree with Muz^ once you split it, it'll be gone for ever so ride it first however I'd be very surprised if the elastomers in the the M3's were anything other than mushy marshmallow by now.

Re:

I'd be grateful if anyone can give me some idea of year, just based on the equipment and 135mm rear spacing I would guess 89-91, but I've seen similar decals on older bikes.

As I understand it, the Ultra was the forerunner of the P-series bikes? Prestige tubed/TIGed.

Manitou 4 is remarkably still somewhat functional, at least with the pre-load knobs dialed all the way in.

The bike shows no evidence of ever having been ridden off-road, the fork legs are mint, and the tire choice would not be ideal in rooty, rocky Southern Ontario. I can only guess the previous owner bought it on a whim, upgraded it on a further whim, and then hung it in the garage. Can't of been cheap though.

The Gripshifts are a bit of a mystery, I would have expected, based on the rest of the build, 7-speed XT thumbshifters, and whilst I can see someone trading those out for Rapidfire plus, the Gripshift must have compared terribly. They are a model I've not encountered before, they look like mid 1990s SRT-400/500/600, all black plastic, but they have no markings other than the word "Gripshift" printed in white on the inner edges.

If I keep, I will likely try and source a Logic fork and Forcelite stem, which I suspect would have been the original spec. Front end is very low with the zero-rise Dean, and doesn't look quite right. that seat has to go too! I'm thinking black Turbo or Flite.

If the cranks and brakes are original, then it's most likely a 1991.

1990 Ritchey bikes were spec'ed with all Shimano as the extended line up of Ritchey Logic parts (cranks, brakes, headset, bb) didn't come out until 91.

I'm not sure I'd call the Ultra a precursor to the P-Series bikes as they were sold at the same time.
They're more of an evolution of the Ascent (though I think cooler).
The SuperComp would be the precursor to the P-23 Team bikes.

Re:

Thanks Eric, good information.

Any idea what's up with the decals? I feel I've seen 87 Ultras with the same ones, did they just use whatever was at hand?

Re:

why on earth would you want to sell that on. it's a beaut!

if it was a smaller frame, i'd consider asking to trade for it! :facepalm:

Re:

Look this up

Oldmountainbikes. One word. Good website for oggling old Ritcheys!

Ritchey website, with a lot of info, including a guide to frame numbers and model specifics.
Along with owners photos.

Mike

Re:

Nice... if you are splitting I will stand in line. I have an ultra that has rusted out around the bb. Would love to get it all functional one day

Back