Early 90's Marin Team Ti XT build

Coquitlam Geoff

Retro Guru
Rescued and restored from San Francisco on a recent business trip
17" frame Sandvik 3.25/2.0 Ti frame made by Litespeed
Ti Stem polished (mfg unknown)
All original Marin Lite parts:
Seat post clamp, flat bar , headset, seat post with shim (Litespeed)
M737 Shifter brake pods , front rear derailleurs
M730 Cranks
And a very sweet Ritchey logic fork
Pics now added

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    FullSizeRender (9).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 914
  • FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    FullSizeRender (10).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 914
  • FullSizeRender (11).jpg
    FullSizeRender (11).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 914
  • FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    FullSizeRender (12).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 914
Re:

Nice project with potential !
But I think the frame is mid '90's non Litespeed made, the frame finish and cable guides brazed onto the headtube not the downtube point to '95 >

Thanks for the info Retro Guru looking at your collection I would say you are quite knowledgable on the Marin stuff
Can't be much later as its canti set up though or would have been a v brake set up?
I was told the shim in seat post was a Litespeed detail by my local Ti guy
So Marin Mfg there own Ti frames?
Cheers

Coquitlam Geoff":1bm7vsk9 said:
Thanks for the info Retro Guru looking at your collection I would say you are quite knowledgable on the Marin stuff
Can't be much later as its canti set up though or would have been a v brake set up?
Cheers

Not that I was aware of, thought they were made by the same company that made the Ti Konas - Ti-Sprts or something?

Coquitlam Geoff":2agm119v said:
Cheers

Here's a great thread on here that will clear it up (if you're particularly bothered about it of course!!)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=319201&hilit=marin+titanium&start=0

I think the general consensus is litespeed made them up to '93? the team Ti wasn't mentioned in the '94 catalogue which points to them being between manufacturers.....? pretty sure manufacturing then went to Taiwan from then on for '95 & '96.....

My take on the seatpost tube shim is that early Ti frames were straight gauge and not butted (they were light enough already to not need butting) so it was easier to use straight gauge tubing and add a shim to a certain size for the required seatpost size. This method could simply have been 'borrowed' from the litespeed method and used on the Taiwan frames for simplicity and economy....only my take of course and I guess we'll never know!

An easy (and definite) way to see if your frame is a litespeed is if it has a 4 digit frame number on the rear mech dropout hanger, numbers under the BB or no numbers at all - Taiwan. But still a very nice frame even though....

Back