1994 Kona Hei Hei - my first project bike

epptx

Devout Dirtbag
I've enjoyed Retrobike for years, and I've really been looking forward to this post. Why? Because of all my bikes, this is the first one that was really a project, in the sense of hunting down parts to achieve a vision in my mind's eye.

I developed my passion for bikes in the mid-1990s...around 1996, to be exact; and if you look at the bikes in my signature line you'll see that most of my collection dates to the years *after* that. So, it was a turning point to pursue something older than the bikes I knew from the bike shop where I worked all those decades ago, and to consciously take the time to seek out and build it with mostly period parts.

I bought this 1994 Kona Hei Hei here on Retrobike, from one of the nicest people I could imagine. After I bought it, I took a long time to source the parts I wanted. This lovely frame has been in my attic since October 2013-- almost three years! During that time, I spent many days getting more than a little obsessive on eBay.

As you can see, I was relatively conservative about parts. I wanted the bike to look understated, in a low-key, quiet sort of way. I am pleased to have found a lot of components with little to no wear...NOS Bontrager Ti handle bars, nice Syncros stuff, NOS pedals, NOS saddle, really nice XTR derailleurs, lightly used crankset, and new tires, for example.

There are two exceptions to the retro build: Avid Arch Rival brakes, and a Judy Race hyrdocoil fork. Aside from the most religious readers, I hope you will agree that these make sense and look pleasing. I couldn't find a cantilever brace for the fork, so I went with linear pull brakes; and for the fork, I wanted a reliable, non-air, coil/oil fork, and the classic looks of the Judy Race seemed like a good choice.

After two years of waiting and careful shopping, my first built-from-the-ground-up retrobike is complete! I am happy.

The build:

Shimano M730 XT cranks with XTR rings (46-36) and XT (26)
Shimano M737 XT pedals (NOS)
Shimano M900 XTR mid-cage rear derailleur
Shimano M900 XTR front derailleur
Shimano M900 XTR cassette, 12-32, 8- speed
Shimano M739 XT shifters, 8-speed (NOS)
Avid Arch Rival brakes
Avid Single Digit 1.9L brake levers
Bontrager Race Ti handlebars (NOS)
Yeti Speed Grips
Syncros Hinged Stem, 120mm
Syncros Hardcore seatpost, 27.2
Selle San Marco Bontrager Ti saddle (NOS)
Aheadset SST
Rock Shox Judy Race
Mavic 217 rims, DT swiss spokes
Shimano M739 hubs
Panaracer Dart front tire
Panaracer Smoke rear tire

3eWSMma.jpg

ISY5Jz2.jpg

PtSIGwL.jpg

HhMsI0O.jpg

Vp84xFm.jpg

d7w6c9R.jpg

82QTmvs.jpg

qBEuLBh.jpg

ywaa1xK.jpg

z9AEAVv.jpg

yfNhBUC.jpg

r74LFFu.jpg

2k0AKZf.jpg

xQBzzFh.jpg

6NKP2Uf.jpg

DCEaDJU.jpg

Y9z97sn.jpg

lSVupMC.jpg

ISCINxv.jpg

G6wZQjR.jpg

nmnNUNW.jpg

xuV8ug0.jpg

KLc8Jkc.jpg

cCkT3o8.jpg

oXvBplV.jpg

YB7IG5l.jpg

BYWkOw9.jpg

bnrdoWY.jpg

wijFj3h.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1994 Kona Hei Hei - my first "real" retrobike

Very nice build! It looks like you intended to, understated but classy.
I'm building a Ti GT at the moment and have some newer parts too, forks and wheelset, still looks great.

Re:

Muddy Paw -- thanks for the kind words.

And yes...a long wait, but it was worth it!

(The eBay "scavenger hunt" process has its own weird, anxious pleasure, all its own...)

My pleasure epptx as they are very meant and diservedly so ;) .

Yes i get alot of pleasure seeing your completed build after 2 years of anxious searching buying parts and waiting eagerly for them to arrive which can be a frustrating experience at times but seeing the parts slowly add up after each one arrives is rewarding in it's self as you tick each acquired item off the list and knowing as each part is ticked off the build is getting that little bit closer :cool: ..

By the way thanks to your lovely looking build i've now got what brake type i'm after for a future build now sorted in my head ..

Any way i hope you enjoy many miles in the saddle on your beautifully built Kona ;) ..

Latest posts

Back