1994 Cannondale M400 - Commuter

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Just picked this one up on Friday night after seeing it on the Ebay / marketplace section on here.

Having spoken to the seller beforehand, he was a good guy and told me he was meticulous in keeping bearings smooth and gears working etc. I'd bought it before I'd turned up to be honest.

Anyway it's not as tidy as I thought it would be......

Pics from the Ad:

I cleaned it up on Saturday (a bit anyway), and started my checks.

- Brakes were 'wired up' back to front - sorted
- Chain was ridiculously worn - put a new one on, then the gears slipped so I had to fork out on a new cassette
- Seat was awful so I've stuck my MTB one on for now
- Raised the stem to max height
- The front wheel bearings are TRASH. I have adjusted the cones but have a feeling that the axle is bent, as it's either grinding tight, or VERY loose. Might throw a sold axle through it tonight (or whatever I have spare)
- Rear Mech could be problematic, seems quite 'baggy'.

I spent an hour last night measuring myself and the bike up for a 'best fit'. It's a bit long for me (long legs, short arms) but i'll get used to it.

Other than the minor defects, it's nice and light and seems really original.

I've ordered mudguards for it this morning.

Thanks for reading,

Joe

Re: 1995/6 Cannondale M400 - Commuter

I actually have a couple of queries which you might be able to help me with:

1. What do you guys do about worn chain-rings? They seem to be ridiculous money to buy separately. I don't need to replace these urgently but would quite like to keep the original chainset if possible when I do come to replace them.

2. The paint has bubbled or flaked off in a number of places - is it worth me touching up? I had intended on waxing the frame using car wax for the winter months. I don't mind the patina, but don't necessarily want the frame to deteriorate any further.

Thanks, Joe

Back