GT RTS Team

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hey guys, a new purchase arrived yesterday in the largest bike box I have ever seen. Apparently it held a pretty much fully built Cube 29er previously so this was rattling around in it ;)

Does anyone know the year from the pics and frame number?

Plan is to strip and clean plus service everything and replace the following parts:

Forks will be RockShox Mag 21's

Wheels will be swapped between the current ones and a set of SPINS, both with blackwall Panaracer Smoke and Darts

Stem and seatpost will be black Syncros

Rear mech will be an XTR M900

Clear ODI Yeti grips will be used as I have a pair kicking about

Pedals will be Shimano XT platforms if I can find a nice pair

Saddle will be a perforated Turbo or a Flite

Here are some pics of her current setup as bought, spec list below:

Frame: 16 " GT RTS Team with Noleen piggyback rear shock. Frame number 092436

Fork: Manitou Mach 5

Headset: Ritchey Aheadset
Stem: Sunn Cycledelic ahead
Handlebar: Profile riser with brace
Grips: Gripshift
Barends: None

Brakes: Magura yellow Race-lines with red alloy boosters
Brake Pads: Magura green
Brake Cables: Magura hydraulic
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: Magura yellow Race-lines

Shifters: Shimano XTR
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M901 top pull
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M737 short cage
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: Shimano XT 8 speed
Chain: SACHS
Cranks: Toplines in polished silver, 5 arm red spider. Non compact
Crank Bolts: White Industies Titanium
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Chainring bolts: Black alloy
Bottom Bracket: Titanium White Industries
Pedals: Shimano M323 combined platform and SPD

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic 217 SUP in bronze
Hubs: Hope Technology Titanium wide bodied with red flanges
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: Double butted stainless
Tyres: Front - Panaracer Smoke Dart HC 2.1
Rear - Nokian EX-TRACK
Tubes:

Saddle: Specialized Body Geometry
Seatpost: X-Lite alloy with red clamp head
Seat post Binder: Black alloy quick release

Fantastic bike, always loved the RTS! Your plans are perfect for the bike - nice collection in the background also!!

Perfect parts choice imho. Especially to swap out those Manitou forks. Based on the piggyback and the aluminium rear triangle this should be a later model. 94 would be my guess.

Thanks for your input guys. The frame will be stripped and polished, maybe around the decals that are left or I may remove and get hold of some replacements.

The parts choice will work well I hope, I've owned a few pairs of Mag forks but not ridden any, hope it'll suit the frame well.

The wheels will be kept for now and swapped between a set of SPINS which it'll be sharing with my GT STS-1.

Dare":246fojkp said:
OK nice, well if you decide to sell wheels or just the hubs let me know :)

I shall do buddy, be a shame to split the wheels up though, they are beauties. If the hubs were only silver they'd be straight on my Merlin.

Couple of bits arrived today :)

XTR M900 rear mech

And RockShox Mag 21. I'm looking at buying a long travel version of these as well incase I need more bounce but guess they'll be a bit flexy?

Toying with the idea of an XTR M900 chainset and matching bottom bracket as I already own 3 pairs of Topline/Cookbros cranks. Looking to swap the Toplines with Shimano SG rings and Ti White Industries BB for the right parts.

Got the Syncros stem and Seatpost on the way hopefully.
Still unsure what bars I'll use. I stupidly sold a nice pair of black Syncros straight bars as thought I wouldn't have a use for them. Thinking straight bars and Onza bar ends or Syncros risers. Opinions welcome.

I have that exact combination on my RTS. Mag21s, Syncros stem'n'bars, Onza horns :LOL:

FSX or pace fits better from an optical point of few imho. You can find those mounted on my RTS, if you click on the pics above and scroll through my album.

About the long travel version: You can do the conversion by your own, simply by cutting a plastic spacer tube short. Or get one "fabricated".
Its part nuber 3 on the following pic. Its a Spesch FSX fork, but they have the same insides as the mags have.

That spacer is the only difference between the normal an lt version. ;)

Back