Scott 1991 Team Racing & what to do with it?

Butty

Retro Newbie
Hi,
Here's my 1991 Scott Team Racing that I've dusted down yet again with the intention of getting back on a bike in anger, but think it may be more appreciated by someone on here.
I bought it new in 1993 from Phil Corley's in Milton Keynes with the intention of moving from road racing to off-roading, but work and other earthly pleasures got in the way.
Every few years I found it in the garage, decided to clean it, buy a few new bits as part of maintenance, ride it for a month or two and then forget about it.

Bike6.jpg

Bike4.jpg

Bike2.jpg

Bike3.jpg

Bike5.jpg

Bike1.jpg

Spec is:

Frame: Columbus Max OR with Ritchey drop outs. 18" centre BB to centre seat tube lug.
Forks: Scott SRP.
Headset: Ritchey Logic.
Stem:?? It was originally Ritchey but a clamp weld snapped after 1 week so shop replaced it.
Bars: Scott labelled.
Bar Ends: Onza
Shifters: XT combo
Front Changer: XT
Rear Changer: XT
Cassette: XT HG 12-28
Chainset: XT SG 46-36-24
Brakes: XT
Seat post: Ritchey
Seat: San Marco race gel
Wheel: Mavic M321
Tyres: Panaracer Trailblaster 26 x 1.8
Pedals: SPD M737
Skewers & seat clamp: Purple unknown make
Plus Scott bottle holder and latex inner tubes ( have always used these on any bike with clinchers) and Crud Catcher!

Is it too long in the tooth to be used again in anger if I get my finger out and get fit again?
It needs a good overall, lube and new cogs, chain and chain rings.
My bucket list is to revisit places on the continent like Paris-Roubaix and other classix routes I've done in the past, so I don't think that this is the bike to do it on. Perhaps a cyclocross bike or a road bike that can take 28mm tyres?

Is it worth keeping to receive some abuse or to go to someone who'd appreciate it better than I have. Last thing it needs is to go back in the garage again to be forgotten about.

Hi, nice looking bike.

Unless you want a multi bike fleet or very nice garage ornament, I think you may have answered the question simply by asking it, if you know what I mean. It would be nice to see it being used in anger after some TLC.

Re:

These bikes can be used in anger, trust me I have one myself, a '93

And if I wanted to ride Roubaix, rather than sell it to buy another bike, I'd get some skinny tyres on the one you already have, Far more forgiving than a road or cx bike IMO.

Mike

Attachments

• Scott Team finished.jpg
    Scott Team finished.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 1,266
I suppose I'm like those guys who put a car in a barn, thinking that "one day" they'll drive it again.
50 years late the car it's a barn find needing a lot of TLC.
IF I used the bike again then I'm OK sourcing an HG50 chain and cassette but have no idea what chain rings to get.
Are OEM ones easily found or is there a modern substitute?

Nice Scott you have there!

Before thinking of buying new cogs and stuff like that you maybe want to try to simply lube the chain and do a little test ride and see how it goes. Nothing on your bike looks like it has a thousand miles on it. So if it works it works.
If you really really want some new chainrings you can get some Specialites TA rings but again everything on your bike looks fine to me.

Took it for a ride on roads yesterday and decided that I don't want to lug this around on 50 mile+ rides, so I'll go for a CycloX bike that can take 25-35mm tyres.
I need comfort and a degree of lightness with rough road/rack ability, but don't want some fancy lightweight thing that can't stand a few knocks.

So its off to Ebay or up for offers?
I've located the original skewers, Scott seat clamp and owners manual and will have to hunt down the original Scott seat.

Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back