1992 Trek 9500 - Return of the Pogo Stick

Smithjss70

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I ordered this bike new in 1992 from my local shop without having ridden one prior. I've done this several times since with more familiar frames and geometry but this proved to be a bigger mistake as I was in my early twenties, so financially much more painful. It wasn't that bad to ride, but I decided for my terrain and style of riding that a hardtail was best suited more for me. With that, I ordered a new GT Zaskar LE frame from a shop in San Francisco and cobbled all of the XTR parts that I could from the Trek for the Zaskar since both were new. Unfortunately, the FD and seat tube were not compatible due to the larger downtube of the Trek. The Trek went on the wall after approximately ten miles of use and sat for 22 years until deciding last year to bring it back to spec. All NOS parts were sourced for this build with the exception of one slightly used Matrix Singletrack Pro rim. The tires are NOS Smokes and are not catalog correct but everything else is specific to the day it left the production floor. I have some Matrix Z Axis Comps coming my way from Jeff at First Flight so it will now be to the T. For the time being, here are the specs and some pics as well. A waste of M900, perhaps, but I'ts my waste and I wanted to bring it back to stock. Interesting bike that represents a unique period of MTB history. Enjoy!

Frame: 1992 Trek 9500 20”

Fork: Trek DDS3 Adjustable Suspension

Headset: Tange Seiki Levin OS Seated
Stem: Answer A-TAC
Handlebar: Easton Matrix HyperLight
Grips: Grab On MTN-1 reproduction by Mombat
Barends: Onza RCR Racing Cr-Mos

Brakes: XTR BR-M900F/R
Brake Pads: XTR M900 Low Profile
Brake Cables: Shimano SIS
Cantilever cable hangers: XTR M900
Brake Levers: ST M900-8

Shifters: ST-M900 (2 finger, Servo Wave, Rapid Fire Plus (push/pull) shifters) 8 speed compatible
Front Derailleur: FD-M900 speed STI
Rear Derailleur: RD-M900 8 speed STI
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: CS-M900 Cassette Sprocket, 8 Speed Hyperglide
Chain: CN-7401: Dura-Ace chain
Cranks: FC-M900 Ultra Low Profile Crank
Crank Bolts: XTR M900
Chainrings: M900 28/38/48
Chainring bolts: XTR M900
Bottom Bracket: BB-UN90
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT with clips

Hub Skewers: XTR M900
Rims: Matrix Single Track Pro
Hubs: Shimano XTR M900
Nipples: Brass
Spokes: 15 Gauge Stainless Steel
Tires: NOS Smokes (Matrix Z Axis)
Tubes: Maxxis Flyweight MTBs

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: M900 SP-M900
Seatpost Binder: Original Trek

xLHtWz.jpg

AVqvj9.jpg

qot5Bq.jpg

aa466n.jpg

hUNeBX.jpg

xLHtWz.jpg

Mz8TA5.jpg

xTyPD9.jpg

Re:

Never ridden one but I guess the general consensus is probably right :LOL:

That's not the point though and you've done a great job on the build :)

Re:

Great job! I've always wondered how such bikes ride.. I've owned a 8700 carbon and now i ride a Y22 from 1997 wich isn't that popular either....

wow, looks ace dude, had a few of these now and love them, theyre not as bad as folk make out, interesting at times but not shit to ride. would love another but the collection is large and after being sold a pup......eventually! last time I bought one put me off for a while.

Jason,

Despite your great writeup, the "why" will continue to elude me ;) However, job well done. Just switch the pedals you're off by about a decade there.

I've parted more of these bike than I care to admit. At one point the local charity place where I donated them would no longer accept them from me because they had three sitting around as nobody would take them. True story!

Back