Fat Chance Shock a Billy project

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Been lurking on here a while and thought it was about time I posted a project.
Well I Recently bought this from northerndave with the long term view of having it painted in Aquafade. I had been searching for a Yo Eddy in that colour scheme or one that I needed a re paint, but this came up and I just couldn't ignore it, the ad just kept drawing me back despite trying so hard to resist :LOL:

I already have a fully rigid retro, a retro front sus and a modern full sus 29er so there was room in the stable for a retro full bouncer, rude not too I thought.

So the bike came to me packaged with care and looked as it did in the original ad post:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=309139

That night I set about changing the seat post and saddle to a Syncros Ti and Flite I had already sitting around, and a pair of Onza Porcs.
Since then I have scoured ebay and the forumand have added a set of very nice blue Renthal bar, ODI attack grips, and a set of XTR M900 cantis.

She currently looks like this:

Once the Cook Bros E cranks I have purchased on ebay arrive from America I hope to cable her up and take for some rides.

After the Christmas and new year is over I'll strip her down and send her off to Argos for paint. Looking at Aquafade for the fork as well as front triangle.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone in the UK had a Fat painted Aquafade, if so where did you have it done? Argos have told me they haven't done one before.

As work progresses I'll get some more pics up.

The finished spec will be similar to below I hope, I have the parts but may fiddle with it depending on what I can source:

Frame: 1994 Fat Chance Shock a Billy in Aquafade

Fork: RockShox Judy SL in yellow

Headset: Chris King aheadset in turquoise ano
Stem: Syncros cattleprod
Handlebar: Renthal Sub 130 in blue ano
Grips: ODI attack
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Grafton Speed Controllers in silver
Brake Pads: Scott Mathauser
Brake Cables: Shimano XTR grey
Cantilever cable hangers: Ringle copies by Ash (Vinevo)
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900 combined units

Shifters: Shimano XTR M900 combined units
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR in grey
Cassette: Sunrace 13-28 7/8 speed screw on type
Chain: Shimano
Cranks: Cook Bros E cranks in ano blue
Crank Bolts: Middleburn self extractors
Chainrings: PACE 24-36-46
Chainring bolts: Blue ano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Pedals: Shimano XT M735 cage

Hub Skewers: Ringle holey ano turquoise
Rims: Mavic 231 CD in grey / Campagnolo Stheno in grey
Hubs: Front Hope Ti, rear XT M732 / Ringle turquoise
Nipples: Unknown
Spokes: Unknown
Tyres: Onza Porcupine folding amber walls 26x2.1 / Mitchelin Wildgrippers amber walls in green
Tubes: Panaracer

Saddle: Flite Ti red label
Seatpost: Syncros Ti
Seatpost Binder: Ringle holey in black

Weight: Unknown at this stage.

Due to miserable weather I didn't get out for a ride today so work progressed, it helped that the postman delivered some goodies including a pair of Ringle wheel skewers. From the pics in the ad they looked like the outer faces of the arms and end were scratched, and I had planned to send the to rampage for some anodising, however they are highly polished with turquoise on the other surfaces. Very nice :)

Along with changing the skewers over I replaced the long low stem with something a little less aggressive, changed the headset over for a turquoise Chris King, cabled the mechs up and the brakes with Ringle copy hangers.

Just the cranks and rings to arrive now, a final setup and time to ride!

The more I look at it the more I like the colour but I think it deserves the aqua fade. Can't decide on fork colour. Should I go for fade, RockShox gold or yellow?

Damn nice bike! I always fancied one of these, are you going for an aqua fade reapint?
That would make it perfect.
I like your other bikes to, nice collection.

Yup, aqua fade in the new year some time. Just can't decide on wheather to go for aqua fade on the fork legs as well or if that'd be too much, and go with Judy yellow lowers?

Minifreak":lx073mx6 said:
Yup, aqua fade in the new year some time. Just can't decide on wheather to go for aqua fade on the fork legs as well or if that'd be too much, and go with Judy yellow lowers?

Personally.. I always think painting the shox fork lowers is overkill with an Aquafade..

Your probably right, I'm thinking yellow then as looking at purchasing a lovely re-furbished pair. The black ones may end up on a future build.

Re:

Cool build you got planned !!

I think yellow judys would look really nice with your plans. :cool:

Thanks rojo, taking the advice and going for yellow. Can't wait to take her out for the first ride.

I have the chainset now but waiting on a set of Pace chainrings and a longer BB.

Minifreak":p0unjdko said:
Thanks rojo, taking the advice and going for yellow. Can't wait to take her out for the first ride.

I have the chainset now but waiting on a set of Pace chainrings and a longer BB.

Hope the first ride goes well!!

Pace rings nice.

Back