1984 Ritchey - Deer Head XT

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
This was up locally for a couple of $$$s.

Looks like an old early to mid 80s Ritchey. May also be a Rocky Mtn import. Not a fillet one, but still cool. Full Deer Head XT group less the rear derailleur. Its not in the worst shape. All the parts down to the brake pads and ritchey tires appear to be the original parts. Someone spilled a wee bit of green paint on a couple parts. Its been a garage ornament for a while. I did a 15 minute clean and took it for a ride. Dang thing still shifts perfectly :) That's a rarity for me. No idea what I'll do with it. I was gonna just flog the parts to pad the funny $$$ account, but who knows. Maybe a winter project.

Attachments

• ritchey 6.JPG
    ritchey 6.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,807
  • ritchey 5.JPG
    ritchey 5.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,807
  • ritchey 4.JPG
    ritchey 4.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,807
  • ritchey 3.JPG
    ritchey 3.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,807
  • ritchey 2.JPG
    ritchey 2.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,807
  • ritchey 1.JPG
    ritchey 1.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,809
Re:

You should be able to get an idea of the model/year from the serial number and this website:

http://oldmountainbikes.com/

Nice, and interesting, the 3-piece forks are odd as I've not seen these on any TIG-welded Ritchey. As you say, it could be one of the early ones made for RM.

Re: Early-Mid 80s Ritchey Mountain/Touring Bike

Great read :)

This is an "H" serial# bike. It's likely an import, but not a lugged toyo for the Canadian market. Maybe/likely an 83 to 85 USA import.

I'll take some better pics when and post specs when I get a chance.

Re:

I saw that. It's an E serial number bike but looks almost the same as my H less the stem/bar. Mine also only has ritchey decals on it ... No rocky mtn :( .

Mine has gotta be an early import by rocky mtn. It does have
The same "tom ritchey" 4130 tubing decals that were on some of the earlier USA imports, but not the Canuck.

I think mine is a little older ... Maybe. I think the stem is older in design.

This is a good read to

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vinta ... -bike.html

The eBay seller woulda got more for the pedals and bar than he got for the whole rig :)

Re:

Pity that ebay one is way too big for me. Why is there no love for TIG-welded Ritcheys? The seat stays/clamp area is still fillet-brazed!

Re: Re:

andyz":3g435h1z said:
Pity that ebay one is way too big for me. Why is there no love for TIG-welded Ritcheys? The seat stays/clamp area is still fillet-brazed!

Mombat had another tig Rocky "ritchey"Mountain frame for sale on their website. You could take a looksy.

Lots of people want a USA or Tom Ritchey built frame. These Japanese imports apparently broke up the business relationship of ritchey and fisher.

I like it for the Canadian content. These were the first flight Canuck mtbs :)

Re: 1983-1985 Ritchey Mountain bike - Deer Head XT

here's the one I had... just sold it for $750... but it was mint and all original... even the tires were original and un-cracked :D

Attachments

• file-20.jpg
    file-20.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,643
  • file-15.jpg
    file-15.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,644
  • file-21.jpg
    file-21.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,643
Re:

That's a gem. Did you record the serial number? Looks like a 1986 or 1987.

Back