I got an '89 Clocky - what to do????

Archemist

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Despite running the world's longest build with my Alu Team I've managed to get a very early clockwork - seems to be '89 and is frame similar to the yellow-white one (the one with the campag :cool: )

It is in a right state - paint wise - but sound underneath.

What to do with it? I thought it'd be a cool rat-look for my lad to take to uni in september and (with him being a bit of a music / film buff) the clockwork orange has a certain savour-faire.

is it too cool for skool? Is it a waste of a brilliant frame or is it how to get a bona fide cool mountain bike (for those who 'know') and spread the gospel around the clifton campus?

Build ideas? Can't really see it getting paint - black LX? if i can get enough (sold loads last year - twas ever thus!)

Frame is original, 17 inch to top, original forks (but with tange branding not orange logo??), infinity tubes but only a single cable run on the top tube. And no noodle - a plastic carrier on the BB and the frame number under it.

In fact if I wasn't convinced by the originality of the paint I'd have said it was a Courier.

Anyone any insights.

I'll post up some better pics soon as and the frame no.

And :cool:

Re:

Very nice, and a very early one I think due to the plastic cable guide. I like the rat idea, maybe with a Mountain LX groupo? No repaint required imo.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":3gsbbhxz said:
Very nice, and a very early one I think due to the plastic cable guide. I like the rat idea, maybe with a Mountain LX groupo? No repaint required imo.

Edd - mountain LX single year Groupo - that's a cracking idea :cool:

Frame number appears to be h89058793 (1st digit could be 'h' - looks like, 'H', 'A' or even '8')

Gear cabling on down tube for both F+R. Only other one I've found like it is the yellow-white campag one of Matbh5's.

Re:

Yeah, I've only seen the Campag one and the Clockwork that's on here somewhere with the Tange DB tubes instead of Infinity. :cool:

Re:

TBH I would want to chuck some cash at this, if the steel is sound, as they are pretty rare, paint doesn't look too bad? Could it be given a good buffing with Paint renovator and a careful touch up, then new decals?
Clockworks tend to be considered a bit "down Market" by retro fans, but in fact they were a pretty pricey frame, so would be worthy of some "investment" :cool:
The pierced drop outs and chain stay bridge are certainly un-common

The History Man":2zxy0aow said:
Mine has a braze on front mech cable guide. Is that usual for a 92?

The fancy bit of sculpture brazed on top of the BB shell?

Think '92 saw the last of this style of routing. From '93, the rear brake and gear cables were routed along the top tube.

Attachments

• clockwork bb front mech cable guide.jpg
    clockwork bb front mech cable guide.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 367
Archemist":1z6cpiln said:
Despite running the world's longest build with my Alu Team I've managed to get a very early clockwork - seems to be '89 and is frame similar to the yellow-white one (the one with the campag :cool: )

It is in a right state - paint wise - but sound underneath. And for £30 it'd be rude not too.

What to do with it? I thought it'd be a cool rat-look for my lad to take to uni in september and (with him being a bit of a music / film buff) the clockwork orange has a certain savour-faire.

is it too cool for skool? Is it a waste of a brilliant frame or is it how to get a bona fide cool mountain bike (for those who 'know') and spread the gospel around the clifton campus?

Build ideas? Can't really see it getting paint - black LX? if i can get enough (sold loads last year - twas ever thus!)

Frame is original, 17 inch to top, original forks (but with tange branding not orange logo??), infinity tubes but only a single cable run on the top tube. And no noodle - a plastic carrier on the BB and the frame number under it.

In fact if I wasn't convinced by the originality of the paint I'd have said it was a Courier.

Anyone any insights.

I'll post up some better pics soon as and the frame no.

And :cool:

Hi, it would be good to see more pics to see more detail.

The old Clockworks and Oranges certainly do have savour-faire – ride one round town and other cyclists soon stop to have a look.

It would be good to spread the love, but if it was me, I might be worried about leaving it locked up outside on a campus – mine never leaves my side, except at bedtime.

If it's all original, it might be a shame to lose the original paint and graphics.

The Orange Series branded tubes came in around '94. Up to 93/94 it would be Tange.

groovyblueshed":14qpz0ki said:
The History Man":14qpz0ki said:
Mine has a braze on front mech cable guide. Is that usual for a 92?

The fancy bit of sculpture brazed on top of the BB shell?

Think '92 saw the last of this style of routing. From '93, the rear brake and gear cables were routed along the top tube.

That's it. Feels a bit flimsy.

Re:

Cool frame. I've been looking at this thread, then my '89, backwards and forwards. There are similarities but also differences.
As GroovyBlue... said, be good to see more close up pictures.
The cable layout is same as mine, though my frame no. is on the side of the seat tube so as not to be covered by the cable guide under the bb shell.
Many serial numbers start 'A' so that would be my guess... Mine is A89118174. A lot I've seen also have that second '8' in that same position; mine is a feint stamp. I took this to be Nov'89 for a '90 model year, but others have said that wasn't the case until a bit later on in Orange numbering. There was a frame on here (via eBay) with a serial number about 9 out on the 174 portion on the end which shared virtually all the features of mine (except orange / white), so assume same batch. Had lost tubing stickers though.
Some differences, you have no 'gap' in the canti hanger, the braze on brake studs have hollow sides front and rear, and are the fork tube ends rounded where they meet the dropout? Some details which look a bit better finished than mine, in all honesty.
Just a few thoughts and I'll be interested to watch your progress!
All the best!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 337
Back