'92 or '93 Diamond Back Axis Pro - XTR bargain

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
I've always liked the higher end Diamond Backs from the early 90s. But I've never owned one until this morning.

I went to an 8.00am yard sale with a mate who was looking for vintage BMX frames. The guy holding the sale had posted a few photos, and I could see a Diamond Back lurking in the background. I thought it might be a '92 or '93 Response Comp, or maybe an Axis Pro. And cor-blimey, it was!

It has the usual mix of replaced parts for a bike of this age - cranks, stem, spongy saddle, seatpost, tyres, shifters (and maybe the handlebar) are all later additions. But most of the XTR drivetrain is there - front and rear mechs, front and rear hubs, headset, and I'm unsure about the brakes and the cassette. I'm also unsure if the Marzocchi XC200 (maybe?) is original fitment, but it's still bouncy (do these forks have springs in them by any chance?).

Don't know if I'll keep it as it's too small for me ... but I can't walk past an XTR bike with black and purple splatter paintwork for $40 (about £22.45). :D

Attachments

• Axis Pro 05.png
    Axis Pro 05.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,310
  • Axis Pro 04.png
    Axis Pro 04.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Axis Pro 03.png
    Axis Pro 03.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,305
  • Axis Pro 02.png
    Axis Pro 02.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,309
  • Axis Pro 00.png
    Axis Pro 00.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,311
It's a 93 and originally was full M900 and rigid. I have a 19" frame and forks in the garage. Threaded headset. Nice score

I've got a 91 and 92 Axis.

The one I'd really like to see, though, and haven't seen any on here, is a 91 Axis Team, in the lime green colour with the splatter paintjob. I'd be really tempted for one of those in nice condition, and with the original forks.

Re:

Neil, you wanted to see the neon green 1991 Diamondback Axis Team, well here it is. I scored this for $300 off of Craigslist a couple years ago to use the parts to restore my 1992 Axis, and kept the frame & a few parts. The owner never took it off-road, and it was in great condition, with not a lot of fading. Just recently built it up for my daughter with a mix of DX/XT parts scored off of Ebay, and it rides perfectly.

Attachments

• Full Bike.jpg
    Full Bike.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,199
  • 1991 Diamondback Axis Team.jpg
    1991 Diamondback Axis Team.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Handlebar.jpg
    Handlebar.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,197
  • Shimano DX & XT drivetrain.jpg
    Shimano DX & XT drivetrain.jpg