Zolatone Pine Mountain found in Sydney (true story!)

JonTom

Senior Retro Guru
Finding a good retrobike here in Australia ain't easy. I've been fortunate to find a '92 Kona and a '91 and '96 Fisher, but one bike I never expected to find is a zolatone Marin.

I picked this '91 Pine Mountain up today, from a top bloke called Paul (we joked about my putting a post here on Retrobike so ... hi Paul, thanks for the tea!).

It was bought new from Evans (maybe?) in Kingston-Upon-Thames, and Paul brought it with him when he moved to Aus.

As you'd expect, it has a few non-original parts but most of it is still there and in pretty good shape. I'm particularly happy that the orange is still day-glo after all these years. :D

Here it is after a quick scrub.

Attachments

• 91PineMountain04.png
    91PineMountain04.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 91PineMountain03.png
    91PineMountain03.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,082
  • 91PineMountain02.png
    91PineMountain02.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,082
Re: Shock Zolatone Pine Mountain find in Sydney (true story!

Very nice!

Surely can't have been used much or at least exposed to the sun much unless it was slapped with factor 50.

Re: Shock Zolatone Pine Mountain find in Sydney (true story!

nice! yes not a huge amount of good vintage here, the 80s and 90s were relatively low in numbers of people actually riding..and bikes from that era i reckon were simply just ridden into the ground! i know mine where anyway! :LOL:

Hey PH,

They're Kenda slicks. The only marking on the sidewall is 26x1.5.

Close up below for you.

Attachments

• Kenda slick.png
    Kenda slick.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 957
Lots of good vintage in Oz (I'm in Perth), just less appreciated. I'm my experience you'll find a lot more on gumtree than fleabay. And much cheaper too..

Andy

Nice find! Looks like all it needs is a decent set of rubber and you're good to go.

I concur with fatfixie, Westside seems to have a lot of nice vintage. Eastside...Well I don't know where they've gone. I remember rolling out a state series round at Ballarat in the mid 90s which saw over 200 entries across the DH and XC. Where are all those bikes?!

Back