Project Kona, 94 Fire Mountain

matt24777

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Ok let me set the scene... its 1994, I'm in 6th form and just getting into MTB in a serious way with my Raleigh Outland, all my mates at college have "proper" MTB's....Cannondale's, Gary Fisher's Dyna Tech's one even had a Pace! Now most of these brands were so far away from what I could afford it was just insulting :oops:

But then one of the kids who I didn't know rode in on his new Kona Fire Mountain, which as we all know was not a high end bike, but it was a "proper" MTB! I was smitten! It looked really cool, the colour was a lovely metallic red, and most important it was attainable!

I never did buy one though, I ended up getting an Orange C16r a couple of years later, which I loved (no regrets there).

But the image of that Fire Mountain has stayed with me ever since, so when I saw a frame up for sale I had to.......

So the frame... its a bit tatty with lots of chips and scrapes and a bit of rust here and there, but it's straight, the threads are good and there are no dents. a good starting point.

I rubbed down the worst of the chips and rust patches, and painted with a metallic red enamel paint I had, unfortunately not a great match but it'll do to keep the rust out for now.

I decided this was not going to be original spec and I was going to go for up-spec-ing it, but with kit from the period and a few years after.

So today after a while acquiring parts I decided to get out in the sun and build it up.

I also (not today) built up my own wheels for this one, never done this before so will be interesting.... :shock: :LOL: :shock:

The final result is this:

(The blue post and saddle will be swapped when I get suitable replacements)

The two things that immediately surprised me were

1, How high the bars were! Kona's always give me the impression of being long and low, which is a style I like, but the bars on this are 2" higher than my Orange, and it's older by 3 years at least!

2, The reach, it was no way near as stretched as I'd expected.

I shall try it as it is, but may well opt for a different seatpost and stem combination to try and stretch/lower the position.

:D

Attachments

• IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 3,047
  • IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 3,046
  • IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 3,045
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 3,046
  • IMG_0632.JPG
    IMG_0632.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 3,046
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 3,046
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    303.9 KB · Views: 3,046
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 3,047
Just out of interest (as the pics are not amazing)

Frame: 19" 94 Fire Mountain

Fork: Triple Butted Project 2

Headset: NOS Kona Control Centre
Stem: 125mm Kona Velocity (96? aluminium model)
Handlebar: Titec Enduro xc 585mm
Grips: Red Onza Porcipaws
Barends: NOS Control Tech Control Stix

Brakes: NOS Shimano XT BR-M737 Front and Rear
Brake Pads: NOS Shimano XT
Brake Cables: Clarkes
Cantilever cable hangers: Tektro style alloy
Brake Levers: Shimano STI M737
Brake Cable hanger: Kona

Shifters: Shimano XT STI M737
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-M737 26.8mm band
Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M737 with Alloy jockey wheels
Derailleur Cables: Clarkes
Cassette: NOS Shimano XT 11-28
Chain: Shimano IG70
Cranks: Shimano XT M737
Crank Bolts: No brand self extracting
Chainrings: Shimano XT 42/32/22
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN52 (actually came in my Orange frame!)
Pedals: Shimano PD-M515 Spuds

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT
Rims: Ritchey Rock comp 32H
Hubs: Shimano M737 32H rebuilt with new balls!
Nipples: DT swiss Alu nips
Spokes: DT swiss revolution spokes
Tyres: Kona Scratch & Sniff
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle:Black Selle Italia Flite 1990 Titanium
Seatpost: Red USE 25.0 seatpost
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: 25lb 12oz

That looks smart.

If the seat post is as faded as it looks why not strip and polish it?

that looks cool.ykt!
id like to dib the post and saddle depending on price, look good on my white and blue klein. don't mind faded post either.....it's for riding :D

Very tidy.
Only suggestion I would make is a silver seatpost and black saddle, but its all personal perference. Looks a fun bike.

zetecmk2":1swp4fsk said:
that looks cool.ykt!
id like to dib the post and saddle depending on price, look good on my white and blue klein. don't mind faded post either.....it's for riding :D

Agree neither of my bikes are garage queens, ride it!

I'll happily sell you the post and saddle, Saddle is a bit tatty I've tried polishing it up but the colour won't stay on it. Structurally its fine.

The post has some pitting lower down (it's 400mm) and there is a considerable rub mark on the rear towards the top (I'm guessing a Saddlebag) that has slightly worn into the alloy. I'll send you pics if you're still interested.

superstu":1swp4fsk said:
Very tidy.
Only suggestion I would make is a silver seatpost and black saddle, but its all personal perference. Looks a fun bike.

I've just got a slightly faded red USE post :D , and I ordered a black flite 1990 from CRC the other night only for the order to be cancelled due to no stock :facepalm:

If anyone has one of these in decent condition

I'll swap it for the one on this bike

Attachments

• kona stem wanted.JPG
    kona stem wanted.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,906
I have that stem in the same colour as yours now, butthe twin bolted cromoly one in 125mm length. I swapped it out for a 100mm alloy velocity one cos I was too stretched out, yours for 15 quid in good nick if you want it, just pm me

That looks like a goodun! Job well done:)

What's the best price for those mags you have for sale? Lol

Got the replacement Post & saddle, The USE post is faded, but I like the effect where the sticker was :D

Other than having to tighten the front hub cones a touch, everything seems to be working well, Very pleased with the wheels, they have stayed true even after being ridden and jumped off some steps :roll: :D

Attachments

• IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 2,826
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,826
I like the seat.
I have a slight aversion to trying to match too much red ano - the shades always clash so I would still prefer a silver seat pin! The USE one is very nice though. Glad the wheel building went well!

Latest posts

Back