Raleigh M-Trax Elite 1997

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Well, with my Dynatech MT4 and my RSP Ti (an RSP 500/600 frame)all but finished I managed to get hold of a frame I'd been after for many many years.
I used to have a Raleigh M-Trax 300 Elite with Reynolds Optima butted frame back in 1998, which I bought new from Allen's Cycles in Barnsley.
It was stolen soon after by some scumbag who broke into my garage one night.

Since then I have always pined after my lost Bike, and no bike has ever been the same!

Lately with my new found Retrobike obsession I managed to get the aforementioned MT4 and RSP and built them up (along with an M-Trax 200 and RSP 250 I gave to my son and nephew respectively), but I always longed for the same M-Trax I used to have.

Then a few weeks back I by chance came upon an M-Trax for sale in adverts.ie - an Irish Loot type site.
It wasn't an M-Trax 300 Elite, but close enough, a 350 Elite, which had the same frame, painted in 'Copper chromica' rather than my old one being in 'Gold chromica'. The Copper Chromica is a tad darker and redder than the Gold - so not much difference, but thanks to the seller - who happens to be a retrobike.co.uk member himself - del28 - I bought the Frame! (The sale was for complete bike, in almost the catalogue spec (bar the wheels and stem)

a Shame the decals have been rubbed off it parts :( Lovely colour frame I think.

It arrived complete with Diatech aheadset, LX front E-type Mech (with UN52E Bottom Bracket) , RSP Ti flat bars and an Art adjustable stem.

I was over the moon - so I started building it up, with some parts I had been buying and other's I bought after I acquired the Frame - deciding to go for XT parts.

The Original Spec is listen on the sheet below; (It's the M-Trax 350 Elite)

img0001nd1_1.jpg

For some strange reason, the 350 Elite is Copper Chromica and 300 Elite Gold Chromica.
Mine is a 350 Elite in Gold Chromica!

Same frame so doesn't really matter, anyway, I prefer Gold.

And a Link to the 1997 M-Trax catalogue (pdf)
http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk/n ... ary%29.pdf

Raleigh_catalogue_1997_M_Trax_2_V_CC_Library.jpg

Raleigh_catalogue_1997_M_Trax_V_CC_Library.jpg

And the top of the range Ti M-Trax 450 Elite is the following; (same as what Barrie Clarke used to race in)

scan0012_copy.jpg

And this is how the 350 Elite looked;

IMAG0040.jpg

Here it is finished now (November 2015)

mtrax.jpg

The following is the build thread

So after gathering some parts, this is what I managed to photograph today in the rain, sleet and snow (brought it outside for a few minutes just to snap it, then back indoors).

It isn't finished, brakes and gears haven't been set and saddle not set - and needs a nice new Stem, but it's essentially done.

s6q5o9.jpg

2ihm7fq.jpg

I used the fork which was on my RSP Ti (The Marzocchi Z3, Polished, TF Tuned, 80mm travel, 175mm 1 1/8" steerer)
The fork was taken off my RSP as it was too heavy, and probably had too much travel. It is a superb fork though, and looks the business. I think it suits the M-Trax, but I am thinking of replacing it with something else, more about that later.

Full Spec.

Frame - Raleigh Special Products M-Trax 350 Elite, Reynolds Optima butted tubing in Copper Chromica
Headset - Diacompe Diatech threadless
Fork - Marzocchi Bomber Z3 TF Tuned
Stem - Art Adjustable
Bars - RSP Ti flat
Grips - WTB dual compound
Seatpost - USE Titanium
Saddle - WTB Rocket V
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XT M739
Brake Levers - Shimano XT M739S
Shifters - Shimano XT M740
Brakes - Shimano XT M750 V Brakes
Front Derailleur - Shimano LX M570 E-type
Hubs - Shimano XT M737 Parallax
Skewers - Shimano XT
Bottom Bracket - Shimano UN52E
Rims - Mavic X517 SUP
Tyres - Michelin Wild Race'R Advanced 2.0
Tubes - Continental with Dunlop Valve
Chainset - Specialites TA Compact
Granny Ring - Action Tec Ti
Bolts - Blackspire
Cranks - Raceface Turbine LP
Pedals - Wellgo CNC M142 Flat
Cables - Shimano XTR/SLR

WEIGHT - 25.5 lbs

Haven't ridden it yet, but feel the forks aren't suited to the build - well they look good, but they're heavy, and probably too long ravel. BUT I'll ride it first and then comment!
However I do absolutely love the Magura Rond Quake Air I have on my RSP Ti and to be honest, I want a pair of those for this bike - that's probably my real reason! :)

The bike hasn't been finished, need to adjust brakes and gears, cut and secure cables, and adjust the saddle.

The Bottom Bracket spindle seems to be too long for the cranks - may need a 107mm one, I think Royce or Phil again! :)

And I'm seeking a new Stem - a decent one such as a Controltech, Pace RC45, Ringle Zooka or something which'll suit the frame.

So any comments?

Should I change the forks?
Any stem suggestions?

Cheers!

Attachments

• C6FFD438-6ABC-4114-9F3B-870F21CF0ECD.jpeg
    C6FFD438-6ABC-4114-9F3B-870F21CF0ECD.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 139
Re: Raleigh M-Trax 350 Elite build

feeling the love for the colour of the frame, nice bike very nice bike, enjoy.

Re: Raleigh M-Trax 350 Elite build

Cheers guys
Finished the bike now.
Changed stem bottom bracket and forks and other bits n bobs.
Everything except tyres and grips and saddle is in period.

photo_copy_6.jpg

photo_copy_5.jpg

Frame - Raleigh Special Products M-Trax 350 Elite, Reynolds Optima butted tubing in Copper Chromica
Headset - Diacompe Diatech threadless
Fork - Magura Rond Quake Air
Stem - Controltech USA
Bars - RSP Ti flat
Grips - WTB dual compound
Seatpost - USE Titanium
Saddle - Flite Ti Gel
Rear Derailleur - Shimano XT M739
Brake Levers - Shimano XT M739S
Shifters - Shimano XT M740
Brakes - Shimano XT M750 V Brakes
Front Derailleur - Shimano XT M739
Hubs - Shimano XT M737 Parallax
Skewers - Shimano XT
Bottom Bracket - Shimano XTR UN90
Rims - Mavic X517 SUP
Tyres - Michelin Wild Race'R Advanced 2.0
Tubes - Continental with Dunlop Valve
Chainset - Specialites TA Compact
Granny Ring - Action Tec Ti
Bolts - Blackspire
Cranks - Raceface Turbine LP
Pedals - Wellgo CNC M142 Flat
Cables - Shimano XTR/SLR

WEIGHT 24.3 lbs

Re:

This is an update.

Afterriding this around and loving it - superb ride, I thought I'd give it some TLC and a dose of new parts.

I stripped the frame and gave it a T cut and wax.
Treated the blemishes and then ordered some Decals from Gil.
He didn't have the 350 Optima Elite details, but had the decals from the higher end 400 Elite and 450 Elite which are Titanium.
I specified those in the same colour as these (decals are very similar).

This was followed by a search for a Controltech USA (made in America) seatpost to match the Controltech USA stem. I found one in black and also a nice saddle with Ti rails from here.

And here we are, restored Raleigh M-Trax Elite in Gold Chromica Reynolds Optima Lite frame with (almost) period correct parts.

Now all I need is a decent condition Raleigh head badge.

mtrax.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

I have one of the M-Trax 300 at home in the shed, I use it as the every day bike. a very understated bike
Lovely ride
Will upload some photo at some point
Dave

blue2256":13mmxxii said:
I have one of the M-Trax 300 at home in the shed, I use it as the every day bike. a very understated bike
Lovely ride
Will upload some photo at some point
Dave
Thanks Dave, yes, the ride is very good, the bike is very light, stiff and with a lot of feel.
And very underrated - I'm glad I have one in my collection, probably the best steel M-Trax.

Re:

Apologies for resurrecting this but my pics vanished!
The finished bike had a black Controltech stem and an SST 98 saddle

Attachments

• Raleigh catalogue 1997 M-Trax (V-CC Library).jpg
    Raleigh catalogue 1997 M-Trax (V-CC Library).jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Raleigh catalogue 1997 M-Trax 2(V-CC Library).jpg
    Raleigh catalogue 1997 M-Trax 2(V-CC Library).jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 514
  • mtrax.jpg
    mtrax.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 513
Back