Madly pedantic spot the difference thread... Goat content

DA-EVO

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I imagined writing a thread about how I bought this Mountain Goat Whiskeytown racer, and was going to stuff it with boxxer shocks, CD chainrings, welding on stunt pegs, etc etc, but I couldn't really be bothered with the lack of suspense that it would amount to (not to include the derision involved).

Instead, I have a light challenge, and the worthy winner, for only perhaps 12 hours of their time, will become the proud owner of a toblerone for their efforts in 'spotting the difference' between the bike I bought, and the bike I now have.

So, we will start with the bike I wanted to buy, back in the day, but couldn't afford. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 8d3a1ba6.jpg
    8d3a1ba6.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 860
So, the plot thickens, the bike was sold as some parts, and I managed to get the frame from one of our esteemed Retrobikers, plus additional parts from other esteemed bikingest colleagues.

Here is the frame as it was advertised:

(note, a few parts have already changed at this point).

Attachments

• a22f4986.jpg
    a22f4986.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 856
In the meantime, I managed to find a donor bike, which had a selection of M730 parts, which meant that a build thread, of me painstakingly searching high and low for hard to find parts, was basically redundant.

In short, I got pretty lucky finding the bits in a short space of time.

I also bought some parts from the forum, and this is where it gets interesting* (*not interesting) what came from where and what is original, and what is different.

There is almost a whole story on the splitting hairs that I can't be bothered to impart on the fact that I basically copied a bike I couldn't afford in one piece, but wanted to put it back closely to the pic in post one.

However! You CAN figure your own theories as to what changed, why, and ultimately, why did you bother mentioning it!

1/2 point for every correct answer, 1 point for even better ideas that are just made up but really good. Remember, a whole toblerone is up for grabs, so imagineer that chocolate arriving at your doorstep for no other reason that I can't actually put up a good build thread for the bike.

Here is the bike, as per Sunday afternoon:

Attachments

• IMAG0442sml.jpg
    IMAG0442sml.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 847
a nice stem with a roller.....instead of a steel headset cable hanger would be nice.... :cool:

p.s. I do need to add, that the backdrops in all of the pictures DO NOT count in the spot the difference points tally.

Its important to note that. hmmkyy?

Attachments

• IMAG0435sml.jpg
    IMAG0435sml.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 840
the origianl stem was better suited imho, the current one would be way too high for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stunning bike and a great job, ive just got my coat,
im far too :mrgreen:

sinnerman":94l6w79x said:
the origianl stem was better suited imho, the current one would be way too high for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stunning bike and a great job, ive just got my coat,
im far too :mrgreen:

I sort of agree, but without giving away clues, the stem is more fitting...

p.s. critique is fine, but remember, this is also spot the difference..

you get 1/2 point for the stem, 1/2 point for the hanger. :D

p.s. Actually, from looking at pic 1, I don't know all the answers either.

Scores:

Sinnerman: 1 point, 2 parts correctly spotted.
andypasher 1 point, 1 theory about wishbone stays (frame is still the same in pic 1 and 3 though).
pete_mcc 4 points - 3 for factual, 1/2 and 1/2 point for recognising the chain I used.
andrewl 1/2 point, more to come I suspect.

mate i wasnt knocking the stem, every rider needs a different stem, height and lengths, just did also spot the difference,

can you be a little clearer for the idiots...(me)

differences with the frame and fork, or your component build choices..?

Latest posts

Back