94 Kula - Advice pls

Monkeeee01

Retro Guru
kgrhqrhjdke63zdby26boyr.jpg
[/url]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Just bought this off the bay - size 16" (although the seller advertised it as 15")

Its going to be a build for my better half to ride (any excuse to build another retro Kula really)

It hasn't arrived yet and I am eager to start buying bits already. Looking at these forks (which would be the same as the original spec) but the auction states that they are 1" steerer so could anyone confirm that this frame is designed for 1" steerer tubes?

Also could anyone tell me what size seatpost I need - is it 27.00mm as with most old skool Kona's?

I have my eyes on a nice 28.6mm but this could be too small?

Anthony - any ideas as our Kona guru?

Thanks in advance

Gaz

[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks - Seller says head tube is 1 1/8th so I think I will probably need to wait until it arrives unless someone can tell me for sure.

Catalogue does confirm anything

I'd be astonished if the headset was anything other than 1 1/8th - that was standard by 1994 on every Kona as far as I know. Certainly is on my 94 fire mountain...

Last of the 1" Konas were the Hahanna and Fire Mountain in 1993. Everything else was 1 1/8th

Carl.

At a guess, the seller may have seen 25.4 stamped on the quill stem and thought that meant it was a 1" system. A lot of people make that understandable mistake.

I'm fairly confident that the seat post would have been a 27.0, so Kona could save money by using the same size as they did for the 28.6 steel seat tubes. I haven't actually seen that written down though, but the 95 Kula used a 27.0, as did later years. I wouldn't recommend fitting a 26.8, as even if you could clamp it tight enough to hold, the distortion would put excessive strain on the top of the seat tube.

Was looking at the same Ebay ad I think the seller gives you alternative steerer tubes both 1" and 1 1/8". As for the smaller size seatpost try getting a shim (local bike shop maybe able to help or online stores) to fit in your seat tube to fit the smaller diameter post. Nice frame by the way - should be good when finished.

Nice frame. I have had the same one since new. Mine is a Kula Custom and it came with a Ti seat post + shim. The post is 27.25 mm OD, the shim is 0.7 mm thick so the seat tube must be 28.6 ID. Steerer tube is 1-1/8. The forks are different though, I have XC500 and the arch is gold. All looks good though. have fun with the build.

cool, I need a new 27.0mm seatpost for my 96 Kula and i can just use it for both the 94 and 96 if that's the case.

If the steerer is a 1 1/8th then I think I will go for a pair of Pace forks probably RC36 EVO or something.

Back