Marin Pine Mountain rebuild.

DrewBot

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I am a new member just joined as I am rebuilding a mid nineties Marin Pine Mountain. The bike is for my girlfriend as a cheap first decent mountain bike. It was given to her for free but needs a bit of money and attention to get it back to it's former glory. I think it is completely original bar the tyres and saddle. My dad has some spare Rockstar tyres off his Elridge Grade (now fitted with slicks as a commuter) which I will probably fit initially as they will be free.

First question is exactly what year it is from. The Manitou Magnum forks are I believe '95 model year which dates it around then but hopefully some of the Marin guys on here can confirm this from the colour scheme.

Next question is whether it would be possible to get some replacement stickers for the frame. The paint is in pretty poor condition so I am respraying some sections of the frame. I got myself some Vauxhall 'Platinum' paint which is an almost perfect match-not bad for a bit of a guess in Halfords. It would be nice if I could replace all the stickers and respray the whole frame, otherwise I will mask off the headtube, seattube and downtube stickers left on the frame in the picture below.

The forks are also being rebuilt with new elastomers as they were all cracked and/or squishy. See picture.

Cheers, Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2597.JPG
    IMG_2597.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,306
  • IMG_2591.JPG
    IMG_2591.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 1,306
  • IMG_2592.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 1,306
It's a 1994. They are gorgeous light frames, and can build up (with a rigid fork) to a 22lb bike with no great difficulty. :cool:

Gil_M on this forum is your man for decals.

I resprayed mine (owned from new) years ago in a custom colour. :D

Excellent, if they are cheap enough then it would be great to do it properly. I of course have to check with 'the boss' who is paying for all the parts first :) .

The frame does indeed look gorgeous, I am getting rather jealous and might have to take it for a few test rides when it's finished just to check it's all working ok ;) .

Just a quick update. The elastomers arrived yesterday from the US, so today I cleaned up all the parts of the fork which are staying. I did get a bit worried about the condition of the stantions, with considerable wear through the anodizing where the bushes rub against them. Ah well, I have the elastomers now so I'll put it all together and keep an eye on it. I'm sure replacement stantions would be impossible to source as Manitou have stopped supplying even the elastomers, so I suppose a new fork will be needed in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,192
  • IMG_2604.JPG
    IMG_2604.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,192
Has the dropout been repaired? Looks like a burly weld but may be the light in the photo?

Nice frames these.

The drop out looks exactly right. It's socketed, fits into the ends of the stays and is brazed not welded if I remember correctly.

Back