I've finally got a Retro! Wicked Fat

peguinpower

Old School Hero
I finally got a retrobike! Ive been looking for one for about 1 year, and I saw an ad for an old bike, went and brought her home. The owner was using the bike as a grocery store runner.

Its a, 18 inch Wicked Fat Chance from 1989. Components are as follows: Mag 20 fork, Magura brake levers, Deore XT M730 pedals, crank, brakes, derailleurs, headset, hubs, Mavic Oxygen M6 rims, Strong seatpost, Breezer Hite Rite seat adjuster, and 6 speed freewheel.

I think I got myself a good package. All I need now is a seat. It had an after market girls seat. I put in a seat I had in the garage for the mean time. Also thinking about period tires, duhno, I'm going to ride her, so I might want new tech and fresh tires.

Here she is in all her glory. Ive cleaned her up a bit. Took out the Onza bars and am waiting on parts for a fork rebuild, hub repack, wheel true, new chain, SG chain rings etc etc. I'm pretty stoked.

She not mint, maybe an 8+ :)

IMG_7764.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7769.jpg

IMG_7770.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

I like it----but I think you should grab a black rigid and avoid the sus problems. The levera are certainly sweet and I dig the Hite Rite and wheels.

BUUUUUTTT.....don't cross-chain!

(nice Wicked!!)

yo-Nate-y":1pabh81w said:
I like it----but I think you should grab a black rigid and avoid the sus problems. The levera are certainly sweet and I dig the Hite Rite and wheels.

BUUUUUTTT.....don't cross-chain!

(nice Wicked!!)

I know what you mean about the rockshox. The fork is fully functional, holds good pressure, rebounds well, so I am going to try and ride it. I bought a rebuild kit and will do one rebuild and see how it goes. If it becomes a problem, then I will find a proper rigid fork.

Dont worry about the cross chain. She's in storage and thats the no load setting :)

btw, can I get some advice on how to source a decent rigid fork for the wicked? from a little research, I think I need a 1 inch fork with 295 mm a2c and 45 mm of rake. I dont know how long the steerer should be as my new headset wrench hasnt arrived :(

Any new ones on the market you guys know that fits the bill?

Back