THE KONA CONUNDRUM...

sinnerman

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
This came up a long time ago on :twisted: bay.

It was a pretty hammered tatty example, came with chuckaway lx wheels, worn out freehub, worn out rims, mix of xt/r drivetrain, raceface bits all scratched and abused, bso type seat, no grips, and a pair of abused filing cabinet grey fox forks, rusty cables, shagged out chain etc etc etc.

but it was stupid cheap, and 20 minutes drive away....so i had a cheeky bid.

not sure what to do with it yet...but im thinking it needs to be a hardwearing bike that will take sum abuse.....it will probably get used mostly for street riding..., flights of steps, drop offs, occasional jumps, but im thinking a bike i can do everything on, mess around, in the woods, as well as cross country haul too........ :roll:

bitd, spent a lot of late evenings riding with the boys, messing about street riding/racing when it was too dark for the woods, ...............so im thinking.... "cafe racer"/"street racer".......... :oops:

I wanna make use of what i have already, .......any thoughts....??????

Attachments

• 166.JPG
    166.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,262
  • 171.JPG
    171.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,262
  • 172.JPG
    172.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,262
I built a bike for a recent Macretro bike that is now set aside for street duties getting around town etc. It was rigid but is now fitted with a wee bit of bounce (Marzocchi Z2 Lite). It is geared to 1 x 7 with light parts, XTR/XT brakes and gears and slicks running at high pressure. Great for charging around on and commuting. The 1 x 7 is a 34 at the front and a 11-21 road cassette at the back so I can still handle climbs without bursting but I generally don't spin out in city traffic.

Tazio":24nebh74 said:
I built a bike for a recent Macretro bike that is now set aside for street duties getting around town etc. It was rigid but is now fitted with a wee bit of bounce (Marzocchi Z2 Lite). It is geared to 1 x 7 with light parts, XTR/XT brakes and gears and slicks running at high pressure. Great for charging around on and commuting. The 1 x 7 is a 34 at the front and a 11-21 road cassette at the back so I can still handle climbs without bursting but I generally don't spin out in city traffic.

sounds well cool....id like to see a pic.?? not sure what to do with gearing set up, had thought about fewer gears, or even single speed, but its quite hilly down here :cry: so unsure what to do with gearing :roll:

sinnerman":3v8ex6ym said:
sounds well cool....id like to see a pic.?? not sure what to do with gearing set up, had thought about fewer gears, or even single speed, but its quite hilly down here :cry: so unsure what to do with gearing :roll:

I live in Edinburgh, I don't think there is a single flat street here. My ride to work is pretty much up hill all the way, 20 minutes to get there, less than 10 to get back!

This is the only photo I have and it isn't great because of the bounce from the reflective strips on the tyres confusing my camera phone.

Attachments

• Street.jpg
    Street.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,234
ah i see

i like that, klein too....mmmm :cool: sorry didnt know you lived up that way.

I did a solo ride today, it was a good time to think, but i gotta be honest,
i felt shagged out when i got home, and realised im not getting any younger and need to try a bit harder, so dragged this one out of its box. (motivation)

i think most of the bits i do have will clean up well, ill need a few bits, need a strong set of wheels, i plan to give it some abuse.

got a good set of slicks, wouldnt mind trying a different set of tyres to what im use too as well, i see andy b, is using a new tyre....think it may be a charge tyre of sum discription ....??????

Haha, Trek Klein in it's cheapest form, still a super light rigid frame. I would have kept the bounce off but the Edinburgh streets are either cobbled or potholed beyond belief. I might try to get some tyres with a slick centre and knobbles on the edges so I can use towpaths etc as the Contis on it are pretty much full slick which gets a bit hairy on damp busroutes etc.

The 1 x 7 with the road cassette was a bit of a mad experiment but I.m really liking it and don't change gear that often, it is more like a SS with a get out of jail option of you get confronted with a hill, either up or down the way. SS for mid 40's legs :D

single speed /rigid/ os risers short stem /flatties and v's /big tyres
think weight weenie big bmx
will make a suprisingly adaptable bike
fun too

Latest posts

Back