Kona Lava Dome 94 - commuter

Destructo82

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I've been lurking around retrobike for a while. Seen some bikes that take me back to the days of rope swings, treehouses and death slides! Anyhow, I recently decided my sunday ride wasn't suitable for my commute, and thought I'd get something old but not too 'nickable'. Found a 94 lavadome on ebay and it fits the bill. It hasn't got any kudos for being rare, but It's got me riding about town for fun rather than necessity...as well as putting a smile on my face on the way to work.

It came with HS33's. Ive never had hydraulic rim brakes before but they seem fairly good...if not original! Gear change is swift under load, although I am toying with making it SS. And the P2 forks, well, i'm slightly in love with! Those and the velocity stem seem to make the control end of the bike very responsive.

So all in all, I'm a happy chap.

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

Very nice, these bikes are so much nicer than the lumps people are on now with all this suspension rubbish to ride down the road, front ends 3 feet in the air lol.

A simple classic.

hi chap See you bought my old bike ! Sold it to a chap in bognor a couple of months ago. Hope you enjoy it ;)

Hi Guys,

Mark I agree...can't be riding around the streets with my handlebars above my head! For a steel frame as well it's surprisingly quick...looks much more slick than mega oversized frame monsters too!

Adastra, the guy I bought it from had it advertised as a 17" but I didn't think Kona made a 17 in the 94 LD. so I found your old post on here before I bought it and trusted your spec instead!! I noticed your signature says 94 lava dome for sale...I'm afraid I can't let you sell it again! :LOL:

Greg

Hi Guys,

Mark I agree...can't be riding around the streets with my handlebars above my head! For a steel frame as well it's surprisingly quick...looks much more slick than mega oversized frame monsters too!

Adastra, the guy I bought it from had it advertised as a 17" but I didn't think Kona made a 17 in the 94 LD. so I found your old post on here before I bought it and trusted your spec instead!! I noticed your signature says 94 lava dome for sale...I'm afraid I can't let you sell it again! :LOL:

Greg

Back