Rebuilding '93 bike with LX Groupset. Advice please.

Ardvark99

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

I am just about to embark upon a full rebuild of my 1993 Balance XR-550 which believe it or not has the same drive train despite many thousands of miles on and off road. I would like to try and replace what i can albeit i guess it could be hard to source replacements. According to bikepedia the key components of the 1993 Deore LX Groupset were:

Component Group Shimano Deore LX Rapidfire Plus
Brakeset Shimano Deore LX brakes, levers
Shift Levers Shimano Deore LX Rapidfire Plus
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX
Crankset Shimano Deore LX, 28/38/48 teeth
Bottom Bracket
BB Shell Width
Rear Cogs 7-speed, 13 - 30 teeth
Chain Shimano Hyperglide

I replaced the brakes shifters a few times over the years and i have a great set which i wont need to change. What really needs to go are the crankset, front and rear derailleur and the rear cogs. This was the 7 speed version so not sure what i can do here.

Any ideas on either where to source parts or possible alternatives would be welcomed.

Also does anyone have thoughts on how best to restore the frame. It has a buffed chrome look with some kind of clear enamel. There are dozens of rust spots which need to be treated but will i have to paint it an alternative color or are there ways to get back the chrome look.

Many thanks

Arb

You still got Balance Bike

Hi

I just found your post re fix up of old Balance 550? I have had mine since new and i have many of same issues as you described - ie rust spots and original drive train wearing out.

How did you get on with rebuild?

Best

Andy

Back