1997 Litespeed Owl Hollow

RicoMack

Dirt Disciple
Howdy Folks,

Recently purchased a '99 Litespeed Owl Hollow that turned out to be a '97 based on the worn out decals on the frame and the replacement set that Litespeed offers on their web site. In any event I'm really tickled with the frame and looking forward to building it up.

I want to document the build in hopes members will enjoy the process as much as I have enjoyed watching other people build up their cycling steads, but more importantly to get your input on which direction to head with the build. So I will start off with an image of the bones. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the frame prior to stripping the decals off and the first cut at polishing the frame. If the image upload works I'll follow up with more tomorrow and my initial thoughts what I want to do with this really nice frame of 23 years.

ux6RvO.jpg

I really hope there is image above this. :D

Cheers

I remember that one... i would like to hear a ride report once you build. That´s a massive down tube there. It should feel good w/ a plush marz bomber.

Re:

Ok well it seems that I did something right. So to carry on.

As stated earlier, I realized the frame was a 97 based on the replacement decals on the Litespeed website. The '97 decal set,
WweJyd.jpg

are were like the ones on the frame when purchased.

The '99 decal set looks like this
9hYsnh.jpg

and although there are similar, I like the differences of the '98 better. Mostly the way the owl is sitting in the middle of the O in Owl. So I ordered that set from Litespeed. Now if only Litespeed will deliver them. 2 weeks and counting. Oh sigh ...

The frame came with a Chris King headset which would have been great, but it is mixed colors, i.e.black bottom, red top, and gold top race, people did that back in the day.
qwKRHR.jpg

I could try to find a red bottom or perhaps try to find someone to trade a red bottom for my black bottom. That seems like a long shot. I'm thinking about de-anodizing both pieces and then polishing them. Would probably lose the King logo, but I can live with that. I'm not 100% sure they are even anodized. Power coat maybe(?).

The frame also came with the original Litespeed seat clamp that was originally anodized black, but over the years has faded to an unpleasant green.
3bcz2f.jpg

I'm going to de-anodize and then polish it up, but here I would like to keep the Litespeed logo.

The other day I found a great deal on an older Thomson stem but in like new condition on pinkbike. 120mm length, 5 deg rise. but takes a 25.4mm bar.
9axSlO.jpg

Any suggestions on a nice flat polished Al bar to go with that stem would be appreciated.

So my going in plan on the Owl Hollow was to have it be the older brother to it's younger sister, a 2001 Litespeed Ardenburg road bike. The Ardenburg is completely stripped of all decals and head badge. Actually the head badge fell off when knocking out the headset. Looks like someone used bubble gum to attached it to the frame. Oddly enough the Owl headset came off when the previous owner was washing it. I can see after 20 some odd years the glue to adhere head badge to the frame would dried out. Any ideas on what to use to glue these head badge sback to the head tube?
iriGEo.jpg

Anyway, the Ardenburg has been upgraded to 2x10 all Ultegra drive. So in a similar fashion, I was planning to used my all XT 1x10 drive on the Owl. That I'm pretty sure that is how I'll go, but what to do about the brakes. The only forks I have to use are disc compatible only and the frame is V-brake only. What I would really like, is to find a Lynskey era Litespeed disc brake adapter. But the only time I've ever seen one of those, it was being sold was with the bike or frame. Maybe mixing mechanical disc with v-brakes would have a compatible feel, but I'm not sure about hydraulic disc and v's. Plus you wind up with different levers when mixing hydraulic and v brakes. Another oh sigh ...

Oh well back to polishing. Look forward to any comments or suggestions or random thoughts.

Cheers.

BTW even though I live in the US and type color instead of colour, I do and always have had my bike's front brake controlled by the right brake lever, much to the dismay of my friends who ask ride them. :D

Prodigal Son":2y4e0t7u said:
I remember that one... i would like to hear a ride report once you build. That´s a massive down tube there. It should feel good w/ a plush marz bomber.

Not only is it massive, it 6/4 Ti where everything else is 3/2.5 Ti. I wish i had kept at least one of the Bombers I had from that era.

Re:

That King headset in those colors is very sought after. Just trade it for the silver you want and make someone happy.
I have a silver but it´s installed on a bike i use much otherwise i would offer along w/ some cash to have that color combination.

Re:

Prodigal Son":101b5nvx said:
That King headset in those colors is very sought after. Just trade it for the silver you want and make someone happy.
I have a silver but it´s installed on a bike i use much otherwise i would offer along w/ some cash to have that color combination.

Thanks for that info. I'll try to do that.

Re: Re:

Prodigal Son":1wqv5dtr said:

What if you had my headset in hand to replace yours prior to removing yours and then sending yours, would that be an option worth pursuing?

Re: Re:

RicoMack":1ealgtaq said:
Prodigal Son":1ealgtaq said:

What if you had my headset in hand to replace yours prior to removing yours and then sending yours, would that be an option worth pursuing?

Were these normal times, i would do it... but shipping became slow and unpredictable w/ covid. Have you checked the window of delivery given in ebay ads? It may take 2 mo to get to you. On top of this i am commuting between south america and mexico so i don´t want you to delay your build due to my headset.
Just build w/ the tricolour you have.. not only it will look great against dull titanium but it will shout out "late 90s mtb" which is very cool. I also see a King swap thread in the sale forum.

Back