France this year, anyone?

DKngugi

Retro Newbie
Myself and Ed have done previous trips to hilly parts of Europe to do some famous gradients and enjoy the local brew in the evening. So read on if you like the idea of (usually) warm weather, with magnificent scenery and probability of a famous col along the way. There is no fixed plan, very relaxed; we make up routes from map or ask local bike shops. This year thought it would be nice to open an invite to anyone who wants to drag a bit of steel up a 10pc incline for an hour. Can usually manage to do a week for around 750 pounds/head all in.

Outline plan as follows:

Accommodation
Cheap B&B or self-catering. Depending on numbers, either hire a chalet for small group, or just agree to stay in a given area, allowing everyone to find their own accommodation to suit taste/wallet. Second option offers more flexibility for those short of time, and always plenty of choice on TripAdvisor.

When
7 to 10 days early Sept. Weather in southern Europe still very good, and just turning cool.

How
Fly to any local airport. In the past we have hired a car for 2 + bikes. Driving from UK is possible but very long.

Current ideas
(1) based around lake Annecy as TdF last year, or (2) my preference is 'a town called' Ales further south. See attached map. This town is on edge of national park area with decent climbs and a short distance from Ventoux. Positive recommendation for (2) from colleagues.

I will be looking at accommodation before end Feb, so if anyone is fairly certain they want to join a small group let me know and we can talk numbers.

Cheers
DaYv

Attachments

• Ales.JPG
    Ales.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 678
TheGreenRabbit":2t36420v said:
I will be around Arles for a good chunk of July

Just noticed this town is right nearby, and very similar spelling. Enjoy the Hols and if you find any good cycle routes let us know.

PS
Not sure if I'm missing something. Is Bedfordshire in southern France?

Ales is good . The Cevennes are beautifull and the weather should be decent this time of year . I ll be in Millau, west of Florac in august .

Back