China Camp w/ Old (literally) Friends

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Jacquie Phelan called me because her friend Noah was in town, known on the Internets as Bushpig, the curator of the Cunningham website. Dinner was on Noah, but in a year when I had two dinner invitations, I got them both on the same day, so I had to pass.

So we decided a ride would be a good idea, and chose nearby China Camp with its 10 mile singletrack loop for our route. I called Joe Breeze, and he was game, so Joe and I arranged to meet and ride to the trail together.

But Joe was late, and we had to hustle to make the schedule. I got in one pull, then sat on for the next five or six miles. Just as we closed in on the trailhead, we were passed by cars bearing bikes, and Jacquie hanging out a window. Great. I was already exhausted before the ride.

Joe and I were on modern gear, Jacquie on a rigid SS that she won in a race, and the others were on a few collectibles including a Cunningham, and a Ti Potts. The slope on the trail is gentle, but trying to stay with the leaders I was in oxygen debt, while a couple of characters pushed me hard and conversed at the same time about, I don't know, train schedules or something.

Several photo ops later we completed the loop. Joe and I rode home with a roadie friend who saw us and stopped to join the fun, so now I had to keep up with two fast riders. Total distance was only about 20-25 miles, but probably the hardest I have ridden that distance in a while.

So here is the obligatory posed shot with Jacquie hamming it up between Joe and me. There's a surprise.

Attachments

• china_camp04.JPG
    china_camp04.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 1,127
Fantastic to actually get a ride in with you CK. Thank you so much, it was a fantastic time!

Back