Disc brakes with long levers

Re:

Of the different discs I have (Various Hope, Shimano, Avid, Magura) the longest lever is the Magura Gustav M. Whilst it has a comparatively long lever, it also has quite a shallow profile to it (Very similar to the original HS22 from the early 90's) and is probably my favourite for comfort and 4 fingers fit comfortably.... Not that I've ever braked with 4 fingers mind, as they are so powerful a single digit is enough to bring that 40lb DH rig to a halt (Nicolai ION ST)

Re: Re:

Kult Friction":vizggdca said:
Of the different discs I have (Various Hope, Shimano, Avid, Magura) the longest lever is the Magura Gustav M. Whilst it has a comparatively long lever, it also has quite a shallow profile to it (Very similar to the original HS22 from the early 90's) and is probably my favourite for comfort and 4 fingers fit comfortably.... Not that I've ever braked with 4 fingers mind, as they are so powerful a single digit is enough to bring that 40lb DH rig to a halt (Nicolai ION ST)

Your right about the gustavs
But they have odd ball mounts that fasten through the calipers an there old an rare so there out of the question

Re:

Yeah the mounts can be an issue as they're the proprietary floating jobbies, However all variations are still available from Magura but can be mighty expensive for what they are (Approx £70 each IIRC) I'm currently running the last incarnation from 2011 which are pretty rare coming to think of it :roll:

I'll let you know if I think of parting with them any time soon...... :LOL:

Good luck with your search, Might be worth looking for more mainstream brakes and aftermarket levers like dangerboy etc......

Re:

Hi,

If the motive is gripshift compatibility i would recommend the shimano xt trekking disc brakes. Its a 3 finger lever though, but would solve your problem nice£i ;)

Cheers

I use avid bb7 Road cable brakes on one of my mtbs. With the road version you can use old skool canti brake levers, so you have a world of 4 finger options. They work very well, and are easy to set up and service.

wynne":1hwov6t3 said:
I use avid bb7 Road cable brakes on one of my mtbs. With the road version you can use old skool canti brake levers, so you have a world of 4 finger options. They work very well, and are easy to set up and service.

Nice tip!

wynne":2kibn6ri said:

I don't think cable pulled calipers wil work very well on a full sus downhill bike

Re:

Maybe, maybe not. I was surprised by how good they were.
I use them on this for stopping my 13 stone on all sorts of silly steep stuff.

Attachments

• DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 429
Back