Cheap single speed frame

dandy1

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got a few parts lying around so thinking of building up a ss.

Anyone have a nice ish horizontal dropout frame? :smile:

Kona Kaboom frame, 18". £75 posted.
It's the version with the luminous decals!
20051278822_cf5da26f4b_c.jpg

19438138743_cc1469102b_c.jpg

20064511931_5c78db4563_c.jpg

20064449321_dfc149233b_c.jpg

If you need extra bits, a black P2 fork also available, also chainset, as is the Hope rear wheel (I reckon the axle is slightly bent and needs replacement). Takes a 27.2 seatpost.

I finally found a 16" one and the frame has sat around in the garage for a year.

Re:

Dose it have to be horizontal drop out? I have a large (more like medium) 08 Santa Cruz chameleon with ebb. £150 posted. Can load some pics if interested. It’s orange.

Re: Re:

Timoth27":2t672as6 said:
Dose it have to be horizontal drop out? I have a large (more like medium) 08 Santa Cruz chameleon with ebb. £150 posted. Can load some pics if interested. It’s orange.

Ideally yes. I've a single speed wheeslet at home and find it much easier to adjust when needed than having a chain tensioner.

Hamster..... Pm on route

Re:

No worries, I dident think you needed a tensioner with and eccentric bottom bracket though. Sorry if that’s wrong I’ve never run a singe speed.

Timoth27":31ztuuwc said:
No worries, I dident think you needed a tensioner with and eccentric bottom bracket though. Sorry if that’s wrong I’ve never run a singe speed.

Actually you're right. Just done some googling. Seems a fair bit of adjustment can be made.

Do you have piccies of the frame?
Thanks Dan

Re:

ive got a couple of frames with sliding dropouts doing nothing, kona explosif and voodoo wanga. steel is real :)

out of interest hamster, what sort of weight is that kaboom frame?

dandy1":32g3lsp3 said:
Timoth27":32g3lsp3 said:

Actually you're right. Just done some googling. Seems a fair bit of adjustment can be made.

Do you have piccies of the frame?
Thanks Dan

This is the best one I have handy but the frame is stripped down now so can take some better ones tomorrow.

catf":107uggo8 said:
ive got a couple of frames with sliding dropouts doing nothing, kona explosif and voodoo wanga. steel is real :)

out of interest hamster, what sort of weight is that kaboom frame?

Almost bob on the same weight as a steel Explosif of the same era: 1600g/3.6lbs, a smidge heavier than a Cindercone of the same year (I had that as a singlespeed, was 1550g/3.4lbs). The rear triangle is slightly longer to accommodate the slotted dropouts.

Without going bonkers on lightweight stuff (so as the photo) it was 9.3kgs / 20.5lbs all-up including pedals.

Back