ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys
Can I use any 9 speed shifter - such as M95x or M75x or a Sachs/Sram Plasma with a Shimano M960 Rear mech?

Did Shimano make matching shifters?

Re:

Any 9 speed shifters will work as long as compatible with shimano cable pull ratio.

Matching shifters only came attached to brake levers as far as I know, and were the ones you used the brake levers to shift with.

Re: Re:

ishaw":3admrfo0 said:
Any 9 speed shifters will work as long as compatible with shimano cable pull ratio.

Matching shifters only came attached to brake levers as far as I know, and were the ones you used the brake levers to shift with.
Thank you mate
Weird that they’d only make these dual lever shifters and not self contained pods
What did people often use with them? M95x or the Contemporary XT ?
I’ve bought one - and I’m wondering what shifters to use - or rather which would work and look well with the this.

As ishaw says, any 8 or 9 speed Shimano shifter will work fine with your M960 rear mech in terms of the cable pull. But the M960 is Rapid Rise (reverse action spring), designed for use with the dual control shifters. There were M960 and M970 dual control shifters, and there was a Deore, LX and XT model too - there were different models for cable brakes and disc brakes too. There was no M960 trigger shifter specifically since Shimano - mistakenly put all their eggs in the dual control basket for the M960 series. However all the other 8 or 9 speed Shimano trigger shifters will still work with it (even road shifters for that matter!)

But - since the derailleur has a reverse spring designed the make the shifting direction more intuitive with the dual control levers, if you use a normal trigger shifter each click will move the rear mech the opposite way from what you're used to, so a thumb press will shift the chain down the cassette from a larger to a smaller sprocket, a finger click will move it up the cassette into a larger sprocket.

Thanks - so for optimal performance and intuition would a M970 shifter pod work ? Or should I get rid and stick to M95x ?

I have full M960 on a bike, beautiful groupset, best finish they ever did imo.

I dont see why the M970 shifters wouldnt work, they are nice too and the rear is rapid rise also. Though probably not an option for you, the M960 lever shifters work really well.

ibbz":2y9os775 said:
Thanks - so for optimal performance and intuition would a M970 shifter pod work ? Or should I get rid and stick to M95x ?

M952 and M970 are both equally compatible with your mech (I would say the M970 is a better shifter - probably THE best 9-speed shifter of all). However like I said, using a rapid rise rear mech with a trigger shifter, the levers are going to make the derailleur shift the opposite way from normal, so you just have to get used to that.

mk one":25s66ujk said:
The M953 is rapid rise
Ok - thanks and thanks everyone for all the help -
Do shifters of the same group set model as a rapid rise mech work ‘naturally’? So thumb and forefinger aren’t reversed?
If so - I’ll probably get rid of the mech as I don’t like the reversed shifting - like driving a left hand drive car!
I’ll most likely then go for SRAM X0 from 2002 with the same model shifter pod - unless of course that’s also reversed!

Back