Internal cabling advice

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
My carbon road bike frame arrived today. Cabling is internal. All new to me.

Am I right in thinking the tubing shown in the pics is to thread the cable through, after which you pull the tubing out? Then keep it for next time, threading it through on the old old cable before removing that cable & threading a new one through?

Or is it an internal lining that stays in place to protect frame from cable & is trimmed to fit when the short sections of external outer are fitted?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 901
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 901
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 901
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 901
Re:

If it were me, I'd thread the inner cable through the orange sheath, then trim it rather than remove it. It will stop your cable cutting through the carbon, and depending on the outer cable, will help keep it sealed. I'd still put some heli tape or protective patches on the frame to protect from cable rub.

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards that method after having a good look at it. As well as rubbing within the top & down tube, I'm particularly concerned by bare cable rubbing on the exit holes by the BB cable guide as they exit the down-tube & where the FD cable enters the seat tube.

So if left in probably an idea to get some longer tubing to push over the old cable at replacement time to guide in the new cable, then remove & slide the old trimmed tubes back on (or replace if worn, of course).

Aye - any area where rub is a possibility will be protected.

Cheers!

Re:

No don't leave it in! Aren't you supposed to use fully sheathed cable from shifter to derailleur?

Feed your shift cable down the orange sheath, remove the sheath and then feed your one piece outer back up the shift cable. Remove the inner cable and trim the outer to length, then re-insert the inner & connect everything up.

If it is a brake hose do the same, insert gear cable through orange sheath, them remove orange sheath. Then I tape the gear cable to the hose and pull back through, carefully.

Don't see how that's possible. There are no further cable stops between BB & FR for the outer to terminate. It's also a bare cable run from the BB to the cable stop for the rear mech & just an outer from that stop to the mech. See pic above - the BB cable guide is for inner only

Think rear brake is bare cable inside the top tube - will check later as not got frame to hand at mo.

Re:

My side pull front derailleur terminates at the derailleur arm itself. As does my rear derailleur.

I am quite possibly wrong for your frame and can only comment on mine, which is not a road bike.

Method confirmed. As they come as new. An owner kindly posted a pic elsewhere.

Attachments

• confirmed.jpg
    confirmed.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 812
That's exactly as my tri bike is done externally:

And internally (under the bottom bracket shield) :

Ignore the loverly shedding cables, that's the reason the photo was taken ...

WD :D

Back