Wheel help - mavic cross trail

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've recently acquired a set of these and want to use them on a build. When I got them I knew some work would be involved as the front is a 15mm axle and I want to use a set of forks with standard qr lowers. What are my options conversion wise? I've also bought a crossride front hub with a qr axle, can I simply swap the end caps, or full axle? I'm not up to speed with modern stuff but have seen other qr options. Should I consider any and will they work on a fork with standard drop outs?

The rear is a similar challenge, has a bolt through axle but the frame has normal qr drop outs. What conversion kits are out there for these wheels? I know the wheels were available in various options new, and even came with the conversion kits, so assume I can get a kit, but not sure what I need despite looking online.

Last but not least, the decals on the rear rim are pretty poor. Into the deal I got a good rear rim, but hoping to avoid the faff of rebuilding, are decals available as I've not found any?

I'd ask mavic but they seem to rely on the dealer network and I've nothing local.

Cheers.

You can try and swap the end caps on the front. Not sure about the rear.
I think you've made a lot of work for yourself here, and it may not have a happy ending (short of rebuilding the wheels with suitable hubs for your frame/forks).

Re:

Not the newsies was hoping for. Further research suggests the wheels I have are fitted with the red 12mm adapters currently, so I should be able to get 9mm ones (silly question alert): 9mm is standard right? Never had to know until now.

The front I'm sure will take the adapter from the crossride hub I bought, though I think the whole axle needs to be swapped. Looks easy enough though.

Re:

I have a pair of 2010 crosstrail wheels that are qr only & was looking for a 15mm one if you want to swap?

Re:

I'd certainly consider it. I believe mine are a later version but I can't use them as they are. Do you have any pics?

Re:

Anyone rebuilt one of these wheels? I got a spare rim with the wheels and it has better decals that the rear, and a load of spare spokes. Not built a wheel with spoke nipples that screw into the rim before, is it any different to building a standard spoked wheel?

I was hoping to undo the spokes and mate them to the spare rim one at a time to make the rebuild easier, but suspect the fact the nipples screw into the rim will make this less viable as an approach?

Re:

One thing - mine are centrelock rather than six bolt discs, if you are still interested in a swap I'll sort some pics - & I'd be interested in the rebuild potential if a swap isn't on the cards

Re:

Ok. If you put a pic or two up, I can take a look and see if the parts are the same.are you looking to just change the front axle type on yours?

Re:

I am just looking to change from qr to 15mm but my wheels pre date end cap interchangeability. I think my only choice is a wheel swap.
For you the easiest thing is to get an axle adaptor - any 15mm wheel can be converted to qr with one of them. Chain reaction do a nukeproof conversion kit for £15

Re:

Well I will end up with a spare front 15mm hub if I go down one possible route. I'll still consider a swap though, I don't know much about the earlier versions though so need to gen up on them.

Back