80mm travel forks

kipperthedog

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My project 2005 Giant NRS has Suntour XCP75 forks fitted. Previous years models had Manitous, but V brakes so I presume the budget had to be balanced to get the hydraulic discs on to the spec sheet. The Suntours are undamped and a a bit below the spec of the rest of the bike so ideally I would like to replace them, but the frame is built for and 80mm fork and I think putting a 100mm fork which would be just over an inch longer might make the angles a bit slack.

So what are the possibilties? 80mm definitely, coil and oil or air not fussed, disc only, black/grey/gunmetal, cheapish to buy, ideally IS caliper mount. So far I have have thought of these:

1- Manitou Axel which can be had in 80mm disc only but are post mount so need a £15 kncnc adapter
2. Manitou Skareb which are as above but rarer, tho' an attractive prospect but pricier.
3. Manitou Black as above.
4. Rockshox Duke don't know much about them but are 80mm and can be had disc only and are IS mount.

Sids, Fox and Magura I think are all out on price. Can anyone suggest others to add to my search list?

What's your budget? Quite a few forks were available in 80mm or could be reduced. Are you looking for 2005 forks or just a good 80mm travel fork that's disc only and is mount?

Re:

The year is unimportant. Ideally I would like to get something for £30-40 but might flex for the right thing, but am funding this project from selling surplus parts so can't go too mad. I may have to compromise on some of the features list, such as colour/disc only on that basis. I am quite keen on th reverse arch Manitous but obviously have to take a view on the cost of a PM to IS adaptor.

I'd hang on for the right fork and push the limits of your budget if you can. The axel fork is the low end of the manitou range so of you can hold out for something better, you won't regret it. I don't know much about the manitou range myself but if you are set on them, might be worth an ask on here for some opinions on them, as I'm sure there will be good/bad points to watch out for and tips on the best fork for your £.

I'm sure you'll also be able to find a used adapter for less than you've quoted. Check out planet-x as they often have sales and you can pick one up for a few quid.

Good luck with your search.

Re:

There is no hurry... I am reluctant to go too low and had considered the Axel may be underwhelming. I have a pair of Black Elites on another bike which I like but have had a Six which was awful.... sowould consider all other brands...especially if I can get IS and avoid an adaptor.

Not sure how much they go for, but Magura forks are supposed to be very good, and a little different from the usual suspects.

Keep your eye out in the sale section on here, perhaps stick a wanted advert up with your criteria and see what surfaces.

Rock Shox Recon might be worth a look, as are Reba, but these tend to hold their value unless they are wrecked.

Marzocchi tend to be very reliable, good forks but a little heavier than most.

Fox are good (mostly), but they are supposed to be serviced extremely frequently when compared to other brands (though that is up to you of course).

Re:

Magura is a contender because they are unusual. Rockshox as you say tend to hold their value, and are a bit ubiquitous! Marzocchi is one I have never had but would like to try would probably need to be air sprung...

I may try a wide ranging "wanted".

I do have a set of marzocchi I am looking to sell, though they would need a service for sure. I'm assuming you are looking for a working fork that needs no work? A wanted ad would certainly yield you something I am sure.

Re:

They don't have to be ready to go... there are forks on the bike.. so I would consider the right fork that needs work in preference to the wrong one ready to go so yours may be of interest......

Rockshox reba can be found at 80mm or marzocchi z3 flylights or z4, which are 1999/2000. Then the mx comp and pro, can be found witth eta which provides a little travel and helps with climbing. Marzocchi are a great dork, look for pre 2007 as that was a problem year, 2006 and earlier a good reliable fork that just keeps on going. They are open oil bath and have good damping. Fox I wouldnt consider as they cost more and the service intervals are just silly. Rockshox are good, but always been a marzocchi person

Back