Conversion from 2X9 to 1x10

scottproonly

Retro Guru
I have just converted from one to the other and I thought I'd go through the process to aid anyone else doing the same

First I'll list my previous setup-

Sram X0 9speed gripshift
Sram x0 9speed rear mech
Sram XX 10speed front mech
Shimano Xt 9speed 11-34 cassette
Raceface 36t chainring
Ta 24t chainring
Kmc x10 dlc 10speed chain

This setup worked really well.the front mech was operated by the friction shifter.i don't know how well it would have worked with an indexed one
The reason I changed the setup was a) I wanted to try an oval chainring for my dodgy knees b) to save weight,c) Ive never liked front mechs d) I wanted a clutch rear mech e) it's pretty cool! :)

The new setup is as follows-

Sram x0 10speed r/h shifter
Sram x0 10speed rear mech
Sunrace mx3 10speed 11-40t cassette
Absolute black 34t oval narrow wide chainring
Kmc x10 dlc 10speed chain

Fitting it all was easy.the rear mech has a 'cage lock' button holding it in place while you thread the chain through. Chain length was set in the usual way (big-big +2 links)
I had read on other forums that you should set the chainline more towards the easiest gear than normal to prevent the chain coming off the largest sprocket when you backpedal so I installed 2mm spacers between the crank and chainring.
I set the limit screws,clamped the cable,took up the slack with the barrel adjuster and hey presto! It was indexed up and down the block all by itself! I love it when that happens! :)

Now for the test ride-
First of all I noticed the oval chainring but this soon passed and it felt normal after 5 or so minutes. All the gears worked well but the most amazing thing was how quiet my bike now was as I jumped up and down a few curbs-amazing!
I went round my local loop and I didn't miss the range of my 2X9 at all!
Whether or not it's easier on my knees will have to wait for a longer ride. Watch this space!

So far I am extremely happy with my upgrade. I will update as and when I have tested it more.
Kes

If you got dodge knees and plan to climb hills
You may be asking for trouble your smallest gear has gone up from 0.7 to 0.85, thats quite a jump, Assuming i put in the correct numbers

02gf74":tzls73oc said:
If you got dodge knees and plan to climb hills
You may be asking for trouble your smallest gear has gone up from 0.7 to 0.85, thats quite a jump, Assuming i put in the correct numbers

This was done on my all Mountain rig which I don't use when there are severe climbs.i use my retro stumpjumper when that is the case
Kes

Biopace is cool again!

I thought about going 1x11 last year (new bike is 2x10), but when I plugged the numbers in I either lost too much down low or on the top end. Maybe this new Eagle stuff could work (50T cog!) If they gave a big enough front ring...

Re:

If I could afford it I definitely would go for an eagle setup but it costs a fortune just to convert my rear hub to an xd driver and then the Eagle components are ridiculously expensive as well!
Kes

Re:

So far I'm finding that I'm happy with the low end but missing the top end a bit. Definitely easier on the knees though!
Kes

Latest posts

Back