Marzocchi Z-2 atom bomb 80mm?

wesmamyke

Old School Hero
I have been trying to track down some parts for a Marzocchi Z-2 atom bomb. Castings are marked a combination of '97-'98 so I'm assuming '98.

Can anyone confirm the amount of travel these have so I can find the right length cartridge? 80mm, 70mm or 63mm? 80mm seems likely but I can't find the exact manual or catalog scans for a '97-'98 atom bomb.

Also what exactly makes it an atom bomb Z-2 and not just a Z-2?

No pictures at the moment but it's fully polished, blue decals with yellow borders. Has fork boots, no disc mount and press fit steerer but bolted stanchions.

Thanks for any help.

I suspect the 98 models had about 63 or 70mm of travel. I'm not 100% sure on the difference between atom and atom bomb but the atom name indicated that it was lighter than a regular Z2 and had less travel. I remember the 1998 and 1999 Explosifs and Kulas came with atom bombs. The 1999 atom bomb model I had bitd didn't come with a disc mount but I think that was because it was OEM spec although it might have been to save weight.

I've just re-read your post and noticed that yours doesn't have disc mounts. That could be the difference between the atom and atom bomb.

i have two sets of Atom Bomb, one black and one silver. both have Atom Bomb decals at the top of lowers, and neither have disc brake tabs.

if you need more photos, they can be found on my DeKerf ST thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=304034

file.php

file.php

RockiMtn":2k4ee7oi said:
i have two sets of Atom Bomb, one black and one silver. both have Atom Bomb decals at the top of lowers, and neither have disc brake tabs.

if you need more photos, they can be found on my DeKerf ST thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=304034

file.php

file.php

Mine is very similar to this polished one. I think the black one is even closer, same atom bomb decal with both words the same size. Also the same fully machined out arch, not the webbed one.

I had compared an older Z-2 to mine and between the extra arch machining and what looks like extra machining of the legs I had assumed the only difference with the atom bomb was it was lighter. Still foggy on what travel exactly. The Marzocchi expert guy in the US was also not sure what cartridge to use.

One post on that MTBR thread does say atom bomb models never had more than 70mm, so maybe it's down to 63 or 70mm?

Thanks for the info so far.

Re:

i've assumed that these and the z2 super fly i also have were all 63mm of travel. there's a later atom 80, which of course denotes 80mm of travel, but that one is a completely different fork with integrated arch brace.

i BELIEVE this should be the manual for our atom bomb forks:
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/sitebuil ... z2_bam.pdf

it has z2, z2 atom bomb, and z2 bam listed in it.

was going to do some research on the forks i have and your thread was just perfect to nudge me to do so! ;)

Took a couple pics for good measure. I don't think you can tell in the pictures but that crown steerer is not original. The previous owner managed to knock the press fit steerer partially back through the crown. That is a new full bolt together crown/steerer assembly. Missing the fork boots in this picture as well.

Oddly enough after reading down to the start of that MTBR thread and looking at the pictures posted by the OP it is the same fork as mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3987_1.jpg
    IMG_3987_1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 2,134
  • IMG_3985_1.jpg
    IMG_3985_1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,134
the decal style on yours match the ones on my black fork. neither of my atom bomb, or super fly came with a crown with the removable steerer. i do have a regular z2 that does. not sure which fork was supposed to come with which type of crown, but the crowns can be interchanged between the same generation bomber forks.

none of my forks came with fork boots either.

Back