HOPE retro-fitting old and new

fastrider gus

Dirt Disciple
hey guys, ive got some old hope Pro levers that I really want to use on a bike I'm putting together but the frame+fork mounts are post type and id rather have a neat setup with no extra adaptors/mounts so I was thinking of using a new calliper like an X2 or even E4 with the old levers. Has anyone else tried this? hose fittings shouldn't be a problem but I wasn't sure if the actual flow of the levers would work with modern callipers.

I think ill give it a go with some new 2pot callipers from the V2 or X2, whatever they're called now. I haven't measured anything yet but surely the 2 new larger pistons wouldn't need much more oil flow than the old 4 pots. my next problem is one lever is closed and one is open. from what ive found in old forums the closed levers wont work with an open style caliper. more parts hunting needed!

awesome, cheers coyote! wonder how ill go finding just a cap though. sport levers are a bit more common around here, would the cap off one of those fit? took me ages to find pros.

The original early adjustable levers were great. Cold mornings, a quick twist and the brakes were ready. Hot shed, a wind off, you were ready. And they were easy to top up if needed. Plus the levers were tough and long lasting.

Later stuff from any manufacturer always seemed a bit fussy in comparison.

No diaphragm on the lever = Pistons wont withdraw.

In fact :? :? :? i reckon it would build up pressure and blow out a piston, or seal.

Back