Which tyre pump

kalex

Retro Guru
Just wondering what pump any of you take on off road treks as I'm looking to get one.

I've got a floor standing pump for at home but not one to take with me (apart from a mini pump that I use on my road bike but that's no good on a 29" wheel)

Get a lezyne pressure drive. Nicely made reliable great adapter will do both presta and shredder. Much better than either clamp or press on types.

Re:

I have two one of which i take. On is a carbon fibre smaller than a smarties tube and other is barberi?. Will get some photos if i can find them.

They are small and light so will take a fair bit of time and effort but thats acceptable for the few punctures i get. Obviously not suited for when working on bike for which I have joe blow track pump.

DSC07431.jpg

Re: Re:

02gf74":2vmmd2fx said:
I have two one of which i take. On is a carbon fibre smaller than a smarties tube and other is barberi?. Will get some photos if i can find them.

They are small and light so will take a fair bit of time and effort but thats acceptable for the few punctures i get. Obviously not suited for when working on bike for which I have joe blow track pump.

DSC07431.jpg

How long would you say the largest is.

I foolishly took my road bike mini pump with my on my 26" mtb. I had a complete flat while out and ended up nearly looking like popeye in my one arm I was pumping that much.

Now I've got a 29" rim i'm after more bang with less effort

thing is.. if you size up, you have to carry it.

is it more pragmatic to carry light and do the popeye once in a while over lugging a bigger pump around?

i'm not really talking from experience as i've never lost air when out riding.. i carry a micro pump, a shock pump and a spare tube (and repair kit & leeches), but have never need to use them yet. i have a floor/track pump at home, and if i forget, or am killing time waiting in a car park i use a 7 quid halfords car pump before setting off

(fwiw the only tool i've ever needed was a chain breaker and an allen key for tightening seat rail clamps etc), and the only tool anyone i've ridden with has also needed is also, a chain breaker!)

i've only come across other riders with punctures once, and they were on 29ers (so couldnt donate a tube) and repair kits wouldnt help as they were using slime which had gotten everywhere and couldnt get that kind of kit to work!

Canopy":3ouqsju5 said:
thing is.. if you size up, you have to carry it.

is it more pragmatic to carry light and do the popeye once in a while over lugging a bigger pump around?

i'm not really talking from experience as i've never lost air when out riding.. i carry a micro pump, a shock pump and a spare tube (and repair kit & leeches), but have never need to use them yet. i have a floor/track pump at home, and if i forget, or am killing time waiting in a car park i use a 7 quid halfords car pump before setting off

(fwiw the only tool i've ever needed was a chain breaker and an allen key for tightening seat rail clamps etc), and the only tool anyone i've ridden with has also needed is also, a chain breaker!)

i've only come across other riders with punctures once, and they were on 29ers (so couldnt donate a tube) and repair kits wouldnt help as they were using slime which had gotten everywhere and couldnt get that kind of kit to work!

Yes I want to carry light but not LIGHT as in a waste of time. It will be for emergency use only aa most of us don't want a puncture.

Luke most things I don't want a all show and no go pump that's why I'm asking what people find useful and take with them.

The micro pump i've got is fine for my road bike as a couple of pumps and it's done

The tiny ones are worse than useless for larger volumes. That's only my opinion. If you want one I have one you can have for postage. That's how crap it is. I wouldn't sell it as that would be fraud.

The History Man":23qx43ql said:
Get a lezyne pressure drive. Nicely made reliable great adapter will do both presta and shredder. Much better than either clamp or press on types.
This. I have the high volume model (also do high pressure which is more roadie).
Much less of a job trailside than any I've had before.
The double ended flexi connector is a pleasure too.

fagin":1f0zhgo2 said:
The History Man":1f0zhgo2 said:
This. I have the high volume model (also do high pressure which is more roadie).
Much less of a job trailside than any I've had before.
The double ended flexi connector is a pleasure too.

Am I correct in thinking that by being called the high volume model it puts more air per stroke than a normal pump as this could be the one i'm after

Latest posts

Back