Easy way to switch brake hoses over?

BobCatMax

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Bought a lovely pair of magura martas some time ago and only now getting round to fitting them.

Small issue - the previous rider is European and as such left lever has a short hose, right a long one. I would like to not have to remember to play different on this bike (I have a hard time switching between shimano and campy on my drop bars)

Is there a quick solution, or is it a full rehose/rebleed jobby?

If you extend the pistons fully, then break the joints at the lever end *very* carefully and reconnect the other way round then push the pistons back in. You may be ok. Any bubbles that get in will be pushed into the lever where it matters *less*.

Do not touch the lever, do not wobble, flick or jiggle the hose ends. Or you'll need to do a full bleed.

I've done this on lots of disc brakes (hope, shimano, avid, formula, Hayes), usually not had to bleed afterwards. Pretty sure Martas are the same.

hmmm, interesting. might give that a try. Got a race on saturday and I'm not going to have the time to faff about beforehand. may just leave as is until i have time to sort them out properly. ta for the tip tho.

You may get away with it if not, then bleeding is made straightforward by fitting a shimano bleed screw. Once bled, replace it with the magura screw.

Re:

I always did much the same with magura rim brakes , be carefull cutting the hose then fill the hose with it pointing up so any air comes up there , connect up and away you go :D

Back