Marked Stanchions - The End of the World?

MonkeyPuzzle

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Is a slight mark on the fork stanchions an absolute deal-killer, or is it something that's easily managed with a bit of filler and some wet and dry? I've seen arguments for each and everything in between - would you by a bike with a marked stanchion, if it was something you could just about feel with the fingertips?

Re:

oil or elastomer forks ?

guessing the 1st one as I've seen some horrors what work just fine with an elastomer set up

Re:

It will definitely affect the resale value, but If you aren't worried about that then I wouldn't say it was a massive deal if you can only just feel it when you run your finger nail across it. The wiper seal is only there to stop dirt getting in the fork, some dirt could sit in the recess/scratch and get past the seal that way but if it's a ight scratch then it will be very minimal.

I picked up a second hand set of Rockshox cheap a few years because they had a slight mark on a stanchion, it was high up but does go past the wiper seal on big hits, it's never caused any problems. You can try painting some clear nail varnish over it; I read that somewhere when I first got that fork.

Yeah, oil bushings. I figure I'll still buy with the knowledge that I service them regularly and use them til they break. Lots of unmarked second hand forks out there for decent prices.

Depends on the mark, size, location and depth.... and price.

I hsbe onr fork, couple of marks, less than 2 mm long, near the crown that i filled with epoxy and sabded doen, doesnt bither mr.

Anothet fork had deeper marks, 60 mm long, 30 mm wide due to the bushing that inside the leg. Not used this one yet but had i known, woukd not have bought it.

Large marks like that would be difficulg to fill, chance are the sanding wil remove the coating near the mark.

Back