When do the sales really start...?

SouthCoastRetro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi peeps, I'm after a bit of advice, I'm looking to buy myself a spiffing new 29'er and know its foolish to buy right now, as the 2015 model range is just around the corner, but my question is when do the proper reductions start on the 2014 bikes...?

I'm looking at either an Orange Clockwork (though the spec is shameful) or a Cube Acid 29 (much better spec but less badge kudos). I'd like a bargain (wouldn't we all...!).

Any answers or advice gratefully received, likewise with bike ideas.

If you're in the market for a 29r the on one parkwood looks ridiculous spec for the money. Likewise I like the look of the anodised canyon yellowstone (2 models to suit budget) but their geometry may be more traditional. Depends what you're after.

Orange spec for the clockwork is pretty awful. But I've been looking at the crush and that seems to be better spec'd...can't really make it out?!

In terms is sales, plenty of stuff on sale now but Orange tend not to get heavy discounts from what I've seen, although that's anecdotal only so there may be others who've picked up bargains. Some brands tend to sell off cheap, some stay near their original rrp despite new models coming through.

Some cheap 29 cannondales on Paul's cycles website, provided you're happy buying direct.

thanks for the advice there, I've looked at those Canyon bikes and they're sold out which is annoying as they're outstanding for the money. Not really a Cannondale fan anymore, they seem to have lost their identity somewhat. On One looks insane but out of my price range, alas.

Re:

From experience, you will find the item you want on sale a week or two after you bought it.

Voodoo bizango gets rave reviews (mbr bike if the year for example) for only £599?
Looks good and well received by most, so worth a look given there's a halfords in nearly every town up and down the country.

If you have money leftover can always make a few tweaks or immediate upgrades

Fair point on Cannondales, I'd agree with you too.
Worth checking when Canyon have more stock, imagine they've sold out of 2014 and are waiting 2015 models coming in.

Most of the big manufacturers launched their 2015 ranges in May 2014. Any forthcoming sales are liable to be shifting unsold 2014 MY stock. As aforementioned, keep an eye on Evans website.

Not sure Orange have any particular badge kudos these days. Certainly their full squidgers don't - while they work better than they should, single pivot is pretty archaic and from some quarters get much derision. Like Marin, they haven't made a truly top flight bike since the mid 90s and largely trade off their name with misty eyed 40 something's. Among today's gnarly dudes the Gerherman Cube has much more kudos and shine to its image than Orange.

Chopper1192":rfvoqng2 said:
Not sure Orange have any particular badge kudos these days. Certainly their full squidgers don't

Not trying to start an argument here, I have never owned (or particularly wanted to own) an Orange but the 5 is considered somewhat of a classic bike and the sales support that it has a lot of kudos.

Hardtails seem to be cashing in on the old names and seem pretty generic, but the patriot and five were well recieved and continue to be very popular with reviewers and riders.

Good deal here on the whyte 629:

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/whyte-629-2 ... sting=true

5 is a bit of a controversial machine these days with being single pivot and all the compromises that brings, and is far from receiving the level of acclaim that bike like the FSR or Trance 26" were lauded with. Any real Kudos finally went when they ceased to do HTs in steel in 2011.

But their customer service is indeed good.

Back