Hope Tech V2 brakes, anyone use them?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Has anyone got experience of the Hope Tech V2 (Evo) brakes?

Some for sale near me and thinking of taking a look. They come with 203mm Hope floating rotors, probably overkill for me (at the moment), but will they work with my current Shimano 180/160 XT discs? I read that the brake track of the V2's is wider :?
If not then I may just run 203mm rotors front & rear for now and enjoy the ridiculous stopping power :LOL:

Re:

You can run the vented ones with V2 but they work with normal ones too. Go the while hog. You will never look back.

Re:

I was wondering if the V2 calipers will work with my current XT discs?? (180F/160R).

Re:

The V2 will run on normal Hope discs so yes you should be fine as I am not aware of any differences in thickness.

Re:

hmm... I emailed Hope last night, and this morning I had a reply! :shock:
That's what you call customer service! :D

Anyway, the reply said that the only discs compatible with the V2's were the V2 discs (solid, floating, or vented).

Think I'll try them with my XT rotors first, if it's obvious they're not going to work then I'll bring out the Big Guns... the 203mm Hope rotors! :D

Re:

Fitted the Hope Tech Evo V2 brakes this evening, first on standard Shimano rotors (180/160) and it was clear that the pad contact area on the V2's is larger than normal, this meant that the pads overhang the rotor braking surface quite a bit on the inside.
This may have been ok, but I know from experience that it can give a "pulsing" feeling at the lever as the pads contact the rotor"arms" under braking.
So I fitted the 203mm Hope V2 floating rotors that came with the brakes, and they are a perfect fit, the rotor brake area is somewhat larger (wider) on these discs. Whilst these huge discs may be overkill for me at the moment, at least I'll have oodles of stopping power when I want it :D

Back