So these new fangled external BBs... Talk to me.

bren

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Swapping my square taper L&M cranks for M960s after an impulse eBay session. The not XTR Shimano BB supplied has a lumpy bearing so I'm going to fit a new'un, but what?

My first thought was Hope; pockets aren't deep enough.

Superstar; lots of options, bad reviews. (Although my superstar wheel set got mixed reviews, I'm more than happy with them)

Magpie fodder off eBay? Token, Aerozine

Nukeproof; live up to its name?

Shimano; thinking m970, cheap and obvious choice?

Any bargains out there that I've overlooked?

Cheers

Hope , they're worth it , fit and forget , mines been in 3 frames so far over 3 years and still spins as smooth as new , it also gets covered in crap at least every weekend if not more.

Lot of folk complain about race face but never had a problem with them. Had a Hope ceramic which is great, a Hope stainless which was also good and the only external one I have had issues with was an XT one that the drive side bearings exploded on.

Thanks guys.
Seal has gone on the supplied bb, looked a bit brown in there. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a road version anyway.

A trip to the LBS this arvo turned out well. I was very taken with the hope stainless in black, especially £2 cheaper than crc, but alas I voted with my wallet and came away with an XT level Shimano jobbie for £25.
Being silver it won't look great against the yellow frame, but I've not ruled out the hope for the future.

IIRC the Raceface ones which were supplied with cranksets were pony, the aftermarket ones were ok. I replaced my raceface with a shimano one and all has been well for a long time now.

Back