Your thoughts Maxxis Beaver v Bontrager XR Mud...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So after narrowing it down to 2 tyre choice for this winter on the 29er. Before I spunk £60 does anyone have any experience or opinion with running either tyre? I am looking to run them tubeless and I have seen some people complain that the Maxxis are hard to seal...

Cheers

Doug

All our local lads have bought the the Mucky Beavers off CRC (proper size of course, 26" and cheapskate Steel bead with good old fashioned inner tubes in them)
They like them.
Well they find they grip in our sludge and wet damp chalky surface and damp sodden grass.
Proper set.

Of course that doesn't help you much. but for a £10/12 each they're not complaining

FluffyChicken":1xzcao5u said:
All our local lads have bought the the Mucky Beavers off CRC (proper size of course, 26" and cheapskate Steel bead with good old fashioned inner tubes in them)
They like them.
Well they find they grip in our sludge and wet damp chalky surface and damp sodden grass.
Proper set.

Of course that doesn't help you much. but for a £10/12 each they're not complaining

Interesting thoughts I would be looking at about £26 a tyre...and yeah I have heard all the disparaging thoughts on 29" wheels a million times...I have bikes with both and tube/tubeless does that really matter? I will be riding in mainly gloopy sticky clay like mud so want something that clears easily and grips well mainly on the rear when putting the power down, but also a front tyre that can still corner and grip in the mud and on wet roots etc...

Does it matter, I don't know. We've got 29" bikes out with us but none have beavers on them. Only the 26" retro lot. I have no idea if it behaves differently. Hence why I mention tyre size and use and setup.

(and of course this is a retro site so expect some ribbing ;))

FluffyChicken":v1ntl99f said:
Does it matter, I don't know. We've got 29" bikes out with us but none have beavers on them. Only the 26" retro lot. I have no idea if it behaves differently. Hence why I mention tyre size and use and setup.

(and of course this is a retro site so expect some ribbing ;))

Fair enough but it was put in the post 98 section ;)

Have Mud x on my 26 and 29er. Really good all round winter tyre. Seals really easy tubeless and are wearing well. Only thing is they are a bit narrow if you ride rocky trails as well as mud.
Think I've seen that maxxis have started doing a 2.25 beaver now. That could be my choice when my mud x wear out.

clubby":1xrjrm70 said:
Have Mud x on my 26 and 29er. Really good all round winter tyre. Seals really easy tubeless and are wearing well. Only thing is they are a bit narrow if you ride rocky trails as well as mud.
Think I've seen that maxxis have started doing a 2.25 beaver now. That could be my choice when my mud x wear out.

Thanks for that...not so much rocky more muddy and rooty...

I've XR mud/mudX on both my bikes and they'll be staying there until May at least.
It's the second winter on the mudX and they were on my ss until July this year, only being replaced when that pesky sun wouldn't stop shining. Best mud/winter tyre I've ever used! I haven't tried the Beavers but I did have the older Maxxis mud tyres on before the bontis, and they were garbage, despite look,ing pretty similar

In the end went with the Mud XR Team Issue 29ers tubeless and took them out for a spin today. Brilliant tyres for the conditions on my trails...sloppy clay mud and they just cut through brilliantly! Less squirming from the front and awesome traction on the rear. I guess they will be on the SC for a while to come and very pleased with them. Thanks for all the advice worth asking thanks.

Doug

Attachments

• mud tyre 1.jpg
    mud tyre 1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Santa Cruz mud tyres.jpg
    Santa Cruz mud tyres.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,341
Back