Maverick ML75 rear suspension damper servicing

Piers

Retro Guru
Maverick have currently cesed trading, but are still doing service work (at least in the USA (Ethan Franklin in Colorado), UK (Craig Simpson) and Europe (Alpatech)).

My ML75 rear damper had ceased working properly (top out bumper fragmented and damping oil turned to mouse) so I decided to service it.
I thought I'd have a go myself, but the instructions are not the easiest for a numpty like me to follow so I decided to get professional help.

After trying to contact the official UK guy, but not being able to get through, I went to my mate Al at Garage Bikes in LEEDS ( http://www.garagebikes.co.uk/ ).

The servicing was quite straight forward, if a bit oily.
Apart from the official Maverick guy (Craig Simpson at Simpson Cycle Services simpsonscycleservices@gmail.com, details and positive comments on MTBR.com amongst others), I'd not trust the job to anyone else. And Al is very reasonable price wise.

It is a job you could do yourself if you follow the instructions and have worked on oil damped air forks (aparently they are quite similar).
You'll need three vice blocks (32, 23 ans 10 mm), a big vice, a 2mm thick x 9mm inside diameter o-ring, two 1.3mm x 6mm o-rings (or 1mm thick x 6mm and PTFE tape), plenty of suspension oil, protective glasses (in case), good quality spanners (so you don't damage the flats on the damper cmponents), rags (to soak up spilled oil, particularly from the set screws when you drain the shock body) and a few other thinigs.

I've had helpful hints and guidance from Ethan Franklin ( mavericksuspension@gmail.com) and "Aplamayo" (the guy from Alpatech http://web.me.com/alpatech/file/AlpaTech.html).

Hope these contacts and notes are of use to fellow Maverick riders.

...you could always go to Tim at Sideways Cycles, he's serviced and worked with Maverick for years

He's done several shock sevices and 2 sets of forks for me with a faultless service

Just as another option :)

Back