Concerning forks

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i feel like my forks are far to heavy on an already heavy bike (40lb.approx)
the forks are 04 dj3s. i think they are 100mm travel but they could be 80mm. im considering replacing them for something lighter and im wondering what options there are (had mx comps on before which i loved but they flexed like mad with 8inch rotor, but were half the weight of dj3s)
i have been looking at pikes and argyles and other marzocchi ones but im really not sure
im a marzocchi fan so that would be first preference but open to other brands. i like fit and forget. need to be suitable for 8inch rotor, strong and light. no less than 100mm i guess (maybe more). preferably air too. obviously cheaper is better :LOL:

what are my options?

Avoid marzocchi's from around '06 to '09, they were not very well built and had lots of issues especially TST versions and ATA versions, newoer ones are reportedly much better with less issues

Look for Motion control or Blackbox damping on Rockshox forks, avoid Turnkey damping, it's not very good

Pikes are generally very good & Tora's can be a decent budget buy, the Tora 318 was the best of the Tora's, they've changed the range now so not 100% up to speed with all of them. Recon's are also worth a look

Which fork kinda depends on what riding you will be doing...

well if i do find a good deal on a nice set or whatever then they will be going on my commuter. rides on my commuter includes stair sets, jumps, hops etc. urban riding :D

currently on qr and have seen a lot with through axles of sorts, would upgrade/change if the price is right

oh yeah as they outsourced to taiwan instead of italy :?
im not the type to get forks serviced as from when i looked it was massively expensive and just easier/cheaper to get a second hand set that works :LOL:

thanks for the help :D

15mm bolt through and 20mm bolt through will, as I suspect you already know, need a compatible hub

The Hope ProII is a good choice as you can adapt the hub for QR/15mm/20mm with the correct adaptor kit

For the riding you describe I'd stick with QR rather than bolt thru

Tora might be a good choice as they are tough and reliable & need minimal servicing, although they weigh in at around 4.5 - 5lbs

318 coil here: http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Suspension ... _2576.html

Air, although lighter are more expensive. A pair of Recon Gold air forks with motion control are ~£270+

Depending on your budget 2nd hand might be a better option for an RS air fork with MoCo damping

yeah was most certainly considering second hand, at the moment just considering but dont want to wait too long :LOL: heavy bike!

current forks are 5.8lbs :shock: :shock: on marz website! and apparantly 110mm travel! i probably get 70-80mm :shock: :shock:

FluffyChicken":2gp43bzp said:
I know nowt, but I have seen some low prices here before
http://on-one.co.uk/c/q/forks

ooo good link actually :D
i would consider the argyle 318 (as ive seen them go a fair bit cheaper (second hand)) but would need the axle upgrade, the recon silver tk and the tora 302. they all seem similar weights though,
am i being unrealistic in looking for something lighter at this spec? (obviously price is a big factor as with everything)
my mx comps were (from website) 1614g :shock:

RS Reba's are very very good forks & ~4lb, but not really tough enough for repeated airtime & stair sets, I got a pair for £115 2nd hand from a modern forum

Argyles are a proper DJ fork, tough as boots hence the weight

Tora & Recon are decent forks, but at the budget end of things hence the weight penalty, but it does mean that they are fairly tough.

If you can get a RS fork with Motion Control damping in your budget go for it if it looks in good nick, MoCo blows the turnkey damping out of the water for performance, being on the mid-high end forks they are also generally on the lighter forks

yeah it seems all the weight and strength seems to be around the stanchion size 30mm/32mm

cheers for the help
do you know the colour options on suggested forks?

also what is motion control? and are there light versions of the argyle? whats better, recon or tora?

so your a rs fan? :LOL: :LOL:

cyfa2809":29r233n4 said:
yeah it seems all the weight and strength seems to be around the stanchion size 30mm/32mm

cheers for the help
do you know the colour options on suggested forks?

also what is motion control? and are there light versions of the argyle? whats better, recon or tora?

so your a rs fan? :LOL: :LOL:
I do like some RS forks, but I love my Fox forks ;)

Motion Control is one of the best damping systems that RS (or anyone else) do, much better performance than the very basic RS Turnkey damping system

Check the two specs of the Argyle, something will be different, I'm not that familiar with Argyles

RS range (last year, it's all changed again...) low end to high end...

XC/trail range:
Dart (avoid)
Tora (MoCo ones only unless on a real tight budget)
Recon (MoCo ones)
Reba (Awesome xc forks, too light for lots of messing about on)
Sid

Beefier forks
Pike (highly rated by users)
Lyric (2 step issues with some of these forks)

DJ forks
Argyle

DH
Boxxer

Or something like that order...

Also they used a numerical system for each model, I believe the higher the number the better the fork, but a spec list comparison will tell you for sure if this is the case

RS forks generally either come in black or white, & occasionally silver, I don't know which models came in which colours as there are too many permutations to remember!

Latest posts

Back